Receptacles Within 3' Of a Tub or Shower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by infinity View Post
    If there's a modern style curb less shower you're out of luck.
    In general, I agree. The exception poses an interesting condition.

Say there is a 5' by 7' shower / toilet. The curb-less shower has 3' along the 5' wall, and in the remaining 2' of the 5' wall sits the $2,000 toilet. On the other side of the toilet is a 7' wall.

406.9(C) tells us that the entire 5' wall is within the new "zone". No receptacle outlet allowed in the 5' wall. The 406.9(C) Exception, however, allows the receptacle outlet anywhere in the 7' wall beside the toilet.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

I'm too lazy to look up the substantiation for this one but I would bet there isn't any real world issue other than someone thinks this is a good idea. Unless people are dying from the receptacle being near the shower this is another example of stupid code overreach. If someone on this forum wrote this PI don't be offended by my opinion but this one falls into if ain't broke don't fix it category.
      Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
        I'm too lazy to look up the substantiation for this one but I would bet there isn't any real world issue other than someone thinks this is a good idea. Unless people are dying from the receptacle being near the shower this is another example of stupid code overreach. If someone on this forum wrote this PI don't be offended by my opinion but this one falls into if ain't broke don't fix it category.
        Not I so I am not offended. If I did write a proposal that was accepted and someone didn't like that would be okay also. Seems like they didn't like my proposals this year.... I tried to get the length of wire increased in the case of a service change where you would avoid afci. They didn't like it but they did add the part where the wire inside the panel or jb does not count for the 6'-- half successful anyway
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

Not I so I am not offended. If I did write a proposal that was accepted and someone didn't like that would be okay also. Seems like they didn't like my proposals this year.... I tried to get the length of wire increased in the case of a service change where you would avoid afci. They didn't like it but they did add the part where the wire inside the panel or jb does not count for the 6'-- half successful anyway

Not that any of my inspectors have voiced concern, but we had been watching that inside length.

Tom
          TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
            I tried to get the length of wire increased in the case of a service change where you would avoid afci. They didn't like it but they did add the part where the wire inside the panel or jb does not count for the 6'-- half successful anyway
            If I remember correctly here in NJ they just deleted that rule in its entirety.

Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

There's at least one scenario where a receptacle close to a tub can decrease risk. If a teenage girl is determined to use and charge a phone while soaking in the tub, you would want her to plug the charger directly into a receptacle, not use an extension cord that could fall into the tub.

Comment

Working...
              X