Stopping some NEC 2008 Proposals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragin Cajun

Numerous threads have addressed GFIC's and "child proof" receptacles that the 2008 NEC proposes to mandate.

I won't belabor the many negatives, manufacturers? profit bandwagon, etc.

How can we STOP these two insane proposals? Can we stop them?

What can we in the trenches do??? I am a member of NEC but I don't think I can vote. I'm not a code panel member.

What can we do???

bphgravity

It's a little late to do anything. Submitting Comments to the Proposals you don't agree with would have been a good start.

The only option now is to "Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM)". This is not something a typical individual will be able to undertake.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I read recently that the NFPA has made some procedural changes regarding Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM). Might even be harder now than in was the past to have any affect using that process.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is there a way to petition your state into rejecting those proposals??? Seems like the way to go now.-- Maybe move to NJ-- Celtic needs the competition.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
RC,
I am a member of NEC but I don't think I can vote.
Actually a vote by the NFPA membership is the next step in the process. All who have been members for at least 180 days prior to the vote can vote, but you have to do it in person at the June meeting in Boston.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Is there a way to petition your state into rejecting those proposals??? Seems like the way to go now.-- Maybe move to NJ-- Celtic needs the competition.

Believe it or not New Jersey has an excellent Division of Consumer Affairs They evaluated the AFCI requirement and opined that the technology wasn't good enough to adopt their usage.

Also if you have a code issue with an inspector they have a hotline with a very knowledgeable code authority. This can really help when everyone here on this forum is saying one thing and the stubborn inspector is saying something else.;)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
Actually a vote by the NFPA membership is the next step in the process. . . .you have to do it in person at the June meeting in Boston.
So, who is within travel distance. Some will only walk, others might fly. . .

A public action to vote this down is just what's needed to counter balance the pro AFCI lobby.

davidr43229

Rules of engagement:
1. Proposals submitted (has to be a NFPA member, supported by a panel member). Report on Proposal (ROP)
2. Panel members have a chance to change their vote, approval or disapproval. Report on Comment (ROC)
3. Vote by general assembly ( Bring it up on the floor)
4. Appeal (Standards Council)
5. Appeal (Board of Diectors) July or August

Just my $.02

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
David,
Proposals submitted (has to be a NFPA member, supported by a panel member). Report on Proposal (ROP)
Anyone can submit a proposal and there is no requirement for panel member support. I have submitted 100s of proposals and I am not a member of the NFPA. Also you have to add item number 6...the court system. Some of the code issues have ended up in a courtroom.
Don

Ragin Cajun

I have been a member for several years. BUT, the expense to fly to Boston on my own is a bit much. I'm a one horse shop and the horse is . . . well anyway. @#$%^&* Just paying for CD's of NFPA, ICC, etc. is kiling me.

RC

electricmanscott

Ragin Cajun said:
Numerous threads have addressed GFIC's and "child proof" receptacles that the 2008 NEC proposes to mandate.

I won't belabor the many negatives, manufacturers? profit bandwagon, etc.

How can we STOP these two insane proposals? Can we stop them?

What can we in the trenches do??? I am a member of NEC but I don't think I can vote. I'm not a code panel member.

What can we do???

I have to ask why? What is your issue with these proposals? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.