Tamper Resistant Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougthewirenut

I wanted to confirm if the code change to require tamper resistant receptacles in areas specified in 210.52 was in fact in effect for the 2008 NEC has any one heard any info on this

bphgravity

No. The 2008 NEC has not been finalized, however it appears this new requirement is going to be in the 2008 NEC when all is said and done. Stay tuned, there will be more on this subject.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
they had a letter from P&S at the supply house yesterday; according to them, it WILL BE in the new code. and of course, they said due to the investment they will have to make in producing these receptacles, they will have a much higher cost. i've seen tamper resistant receps go for about $35 per box (10). do you realize how much more its going to cost to wire a new house using these? not to mention all the arc-faults! we're figuring about $1 per sq. ft. increase in our price, if they go for that high of a price.

ptrombley

I'm not familiar with these "tamper resistant" receptacles. Can someone describe what they will be like and what the code language will be?

celtic

ptrombley said:
I'm not familiar with these "tamper resistant" receptacles.
This is the manufacturer's idea of the "problem":
22490w1.jpg

My opinion is completely different of what the problem here is.

This is the manufacturer's idea of the "solution":
GFCI05_tamper.jpg

My opinion is completely different of what the solution here is.

stickboy1375

The only problem I see is that kid is going to fall on that screwdriver before she pokes it into a receptacle.... try this idea out instead, TRY WATCHING YOUR KIDS!!!!

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
try this idea out instead, TRY WATCHING YOUR KIDS!!!!

I don't think this code proposal was brought on by parents.

You want to guess who put in the proposal?

Vince Baclawski, National Electrical Manufacturers Association

Last edited:

S'mise

child-proof

child-proof

Are those the ones that you have to slide the little cover over before you can insert the plug? Or is child-proof diferent? The picture looked like a standard GFCI to me. I dont think the AFCI proposal for '08 will fly but the tamper resistant thing might be a good thing.
If someone could post a better picture I would appreciate it.

mdshunk

They have a shutter inside the hot and neutral slots that requires pressure by both prongs being inserted before the shutters will release. The UK receptacles have had this feature for a very long time.

celtic

dbuckley

mdshunk said:
They have a shutter inside the hot and neutral slots that requires pressure by both prongs being inserted before the shutters will release. The UK receptacles have had this feature for a very long ime.
Up till when I was there, only the MK 'Logic' and derivatives of 13A sockets had the feature implemented as described; all other manufacturers had a shutter that opened when the earth pin was inserted, as the 13A earth pin is longer then the other pins. The shutters have been a requirement on all sockets since the sixties.

The standard shutter is trivially defeatable for most sockets when you want to get a (example) European 2 (round) pin shaver plug (or test meter probes) into the 13A socket, a screwdriver (or nail file) would open the shutter. The MK one is almost undefeatable; only a 13A plug seems to do the job.

If you are now getting these then that is good. They should be fitted everywhere, really.

The other interesting feature is that the pins are half insulated, so you cant get a belt putting a plug in. Another neat feature, just made it to New Zealand last year...

588001.jpg

dbuckley

Yeah, hard to tell on that pic, heres one that is definitely old style, note the nudger in the earth hole and the flat shutters.

RP13TS.JPG

Suspect that MK had a patent on their (what was) unique approach, which has now expired, and maybe many of the manfs are adopting that approach.

electricmanscott

• 60 duplex receptacles @ $.39 ea = $23.40 marked up 50 % puts $2.34 in your pocket

• 60 Tamper proof recepts @ $35.00 ea = $2100.00 marked up %50 puts $1050.00 in your pocket

Guess which way I would vote

S'mise

electricmanscott said:

• 60 duplex receptacles @ $.39 ea = $23.40 marked up 50 % puts $2.34 in your pocket

• 60 Tamper proof recepts @ $35.00 ea = $2100.00 marked up %50 puts $1050.00 in your pocket

Brantmacga says he gets them for $35 per box (10)

What is that the gouge formula? :rolleyes:

electricmanscott

S'mise said:
Brantmacga says he gets them for $35 per box (10)

What is that the gouge formula? :rolleyes:
It isn't a gouge formula it is a simple mistake. One that would favor my bank account. :grin: I misread it.

I'd still rather sell the tamper proof receptacles as they cost almost ten times as much as a regular duplex.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
electricmanscott said:

who says you can't mark up the regular duplexes 500%? or 1000%

bottom line is that no matter what you install there is a limit to what the market will bear. when you hit that line, you will get resistance.

brian john

Maybe I am a bad business man BUT just because I can make extra bucks at the customer expense does not mean I necessarily want too. I feel I have a relationship with the customer to protect their interest and to my company to make a profit.

Do statistics show that this will improve safety or just line someones pockets?
Because if this is just a ploy to increase profits, IMO STICK IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.