GFCI protection wet bar sinks 210.8-(A)-(7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dscott1

GFCI protection wet bar sinks 210.8-(A)-(7)
This only covers dwelling units.
My question is why in 210-(B) 'Other Than Dwelling Units' are wet bar sinks not addressed?
Wet bar sinks pose the same potential for life threating injury in a commercial establishment (e.g. a restaurant) as in a dwelling unit.
Wet bar sinks a very common in restaurants and many times are not in an area that can be classified as a commercial and institutional kitchen.
Thank you for your time

tallguy

barbeer said:
Without a codebook in front of me- the need for GFCI protection is a requirement in wet areas of a commercial space and commercial kitchens.
Kitchens, yes. "wet areas of a commerical space", no.

210.8(B) has been revised for 2008 though, and a "within 6' rule" will be in place for sinks in "other than dwelling units".

celtic

I also find it odd that in non-dwelling kitchens ALL 125v 15/20A receptc. need GFCI protection [210.8(B)(2)]....but no similar language for the bar area.

IMHO, both areas are equally prone to the same hazard.

What strikes me as even more bizarre is the 6' requirement for a dewlling units wet bar [201.8(A)(7)] w/o similar language for a non-dwelling unit.

I think the addition of 210.8(B)(5) [ GFI within 6' non-dwelling sink] is a good thing....although I feel it should be expanded to encompass ALL 125v 15/20 recepts "under, at or by" the bar's countertop...with maybe the exception of single outlets for POS locations.

("by" is a vague term ....I'll have to work on that before I submit a proposal ;) )

ryan_618

The 2008 will address GFCI requirements for commercial sinks. The requirements are basically the same as the dwelling unit rules for sinks, with exceptions for health care and industrial laboratories.

tallguy

celtic said:
I think the addition of 210.8(B)(5) [ GFI within 6' non-dwelling sink] is a good thing....although I feel it should be expanded to encompass ALL 125v 15/20 recepts "under, at or by" the bar's countertop...with maybe the exception of single outlets for POS locations.
What exactly are you worried about? Someone spilling their mixed drink in an outlet? Someone spraying soda water in an outlet? If you're beyond 6' of the sink... what is the presumed hazard?

I'm not presuming there isn't one... just looking for it to be spelled out so it can be debated.

celtic

I dunno yet ???

Right now, I am wiring 2 bars....the stainless components haven't arrived yet, so I am kind of "blind" on what I want to propose.....my time in a bar is usually limited to the drinking side :D

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i like my link better. but thanks for trying. :D btw, where's my frickin' LOTO that you told us all to register for? It seems like its been 6/mo now and i still haven't gotten it. I want my free stuff!!

celtic

brantmacga said:
i like my link better. but thanks for trying. :D btw, where's my frickin' LOTO that you told us all to register for? It seems like its been 6/mo now and i still haven't gotten it. I want my free stuff!!
Settle down beavis....I haven't gotten mine yet either!
It took about a year to get a sawzall from Bosch ...LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.