406.8(A) and (B) 2008NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

I don't recall anyone pointing this out, so I will.

In both damp and wet locations, all 15 and 20 amp, 125 and 250v non-locking receptacles will be required to be a listed weather-resistant type.

Combined with everyone's favorite 406.11 (Tamper-resistant receptacles in dwelling units), Dwellings are going to need tamper-resistant, weather-resistant receptacles outside.

Anyone even make these yet?

bphgravity

No. And they will have tro be gfci protected with an WP/in-use cover....

Again, the code has mandated a requirement for a product that doesn't even exist yet.

sparky_magoo

In my area, none of the local EC's install in-use cvr.s in new construction. CA is on the '02 code cycle.

CA's title 24 requires manual on occ. sensors in some areas of the home. They always get removed from custom homes after the final.

Don't blame me, I can only do what I am told.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
According to the UL rep at the Western section meeting the products have been listed, so they must already exist.
Don

JohnJ0906

I just got my '08 last monday, and I was a bit surprised this had never been mentioned. (At least I didn't remember it being mentioned.... :roll:)

bphgravity

don_resqcapt19 said:
According to the UL rep at the Western section meeting the products have been listed, so they must already exist.
Don

Yes, this is what they told us at the Southern Section Meeting as well. However, not one single manufacturer has one available for purchase.

And while we are on the subject, at least two manufacturer's (Siemens / Eaton) had combination-type afci breakers at the show, however they too were not available for purchase...

Status
Not open for further replies.