Does inverter batteries emit any radiation that are hamful for health ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a inverter in my home, i use to work very close to it, i want to know that does it emit any radiations? being working very close to it i fell a continuous headache and pain in my legs, does it due to radiation from batteries?

fmtjfw

Ergonomics?

Ergonomics?

Not likely.

I'm not sure what you mean by radiation.

An inverter and battery will produce infrared radiation. This is called heat.

An inverter with an on light will produce light. This can be stopped by a piece of black tape or chunk of cardboard.

An inverter and battery will produce alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. Alpha radiation will be stopped by your clothing. You can stop beta radiation by putting the inverter and battery in an aluminum box, but then you have a new source of beta radiation namely the box. Stopping Gamma radiation is very difficult, the best way is to use old chunks of battleship armor which was made prior to any atomic explosions.

An inverter and a battery (when in use) will produce electrical fields. These can be stopped by the aluminum box.

An inverter and a battery (when in use) will produce magnetic fields. These can be stopped by the chunk of battleship armor or a steel box.

Basically all of these radiations are present all the time everywhere. One or more may be heightened near the inverter and battery.

I am not a medical doctor, perhaps you should see one or an occupational hygienist concerning you problem. Or it could be as simple as a non ergonomic arrangement of your chair, desk, and work.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Mechanical radiation, aka "sound", is a more likely culprit. Inverters now use a technology called PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in their design, what is known as a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS). Actually, the SMPS concept is used now in almost all electronics, it is what allowed designers to make things even smaller again after transistors came into use instead of tubes. In an SMPS, transistors are fired at very high rates, as in 1-15kHZ, and various combinations of on and off times, fired into inductors, allows the transformation of power with very little space needed or heat generated. But in that process, the transistor firing has an effect of making the inductor components vibrate mechanically, which produces a high pitched sound. Remember the hearing tests you were given as a child, where you put on headphones and told the nurse or technician if you did or did not hear a tone? Those tones are created by PWM, and are the same thing that comes off of all SMPS based devices. So the PC you are using has an SMPS, the monitor has an SMPS, the phone charger has an SMPS, the TV in the room has an SMPS, LED and CFL lamps are all using SMPS inside, all of them emmitting high frequency sound. If you have an inverter (whatever that might be), it too will be an SMPS. It is entirely possible that the multiple SMPS devices in your environment are emitting complex sound patterns that, even if you don't "hear" them, are nevertheless having an effect on your auditory nerves. Adding the inverter might just have been the final straw in a big pile of hay.

Simple answer, try moving everything around, envisioning each of them as a sound generator, so you can locate them in ways that might disrupt any resonant frequency interactions. I used to get migraines so I had to do that, it worked wonders. The more powerful the device, the more powerful the sound pressure coming from it, so I started by putting my UPS under the desk, that made the most difference. I then moved most of the "wall wart" power supplies for various things to one of those "squid" power taps and put them behind my desk by pulling it away from the wall a little, then filling the gap with a board. The only SMPS devices on my desk now are the laptop itself and my desk lamp, because it is LED and has a USB charger port built in. My migraines have never returned.

By the way, it will have nothing to do with batteries, other that to keep the batteries charged, the charger will be..... an SMPS!

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Jraef brings up a good point, that could be easily overlooked.

If it is auditory nerve stimulated problems you are having, just to see if it causes changes in symptoms try using headphones (probably not loud rock music for long periods either) or ear plugs to see what kind of response you may experience. This may not work if blocking out external sounds will be a problem with some of your work responsibilities. Many of us have just the opposite experience though and maybe are even required to wear devices that will block machine noises or other work environment noises because of the potential threat to cause hearing loss.

pfalcon

... i want to know that does it emit any radiations? ...

You pet dog and your pet rock emit radiations that some claim are hazardous to your health.

As a good general rule it's a bad idea to work for prolonged periods of time near any powered machine.
The bad effects begin with noises both within and outside human hearing.
They continue with vibrations particularly with rotating equipment but include powered devices.
Both of those will eat at your health long, long, long before any traditional electromechanical energy.

Oh, and an observation. A lot of folks that work close to such equipment due so because they're otherwise out of room.
Consider whether you're getting enough room to stretch and move.
Being crammed in a small space can cause migraines and such.

The last thing you should worry about is whether the inverter is giving off radiation.

fmtjfw

Sound

Sound

The Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) produced the VT100 series of display terminals (Display and Keyboard). They were designed by older male engineers who loved them. The young secretaries hated them, gave the headaches. It turns out that that they emitted a tone of about 15kHz. The engineers could 't hear it and the secretaries could.

Mikelsoria

i have a inverter in my home, i use to work very close to it, i want to know that does it emit any radiations? being working very close to it i fell a continuous headache and pain in my legs, does it due to radiation from batteries?

Don't work in front of it, I don't have the idea that whether this headache and pain in legs is because of the radiation or not, but as inverter inverter also generated the heat so, its not good for the health.

pfalcon

I feel as though this thread belongs in a tin foil hat forum,

Sort of more like belonging to Dr. House don't ya think?

"Maybe you should get yourself a real desk instead of working on top of the inverter. Your headaches are from lack of sleep and that constant hum of the inverter. Your legs ache because you've got them crammed underneath you for long periods of time. Tell ya what, take two of these lemon drops I've substituted into your Vicodin bottle. Stop by when you need a refill."

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Stopping Gamma radiation is very difficult, the best way is to use old chunks of battleship armor which was made prior to any atomic explosions.

What would having it made prior to any atomic explosions have to do with anything?

Lead or concrete or other dense materials will reduce alpha, beta, and gamma radiation.

There is no "stopping" radiation. There will always be some minute amount that makes it way through the shielding. The goal is to reduce the particle velocity and quantity to a level where it isn't likely to cause harm. For example, you might reduce it until its below the natural background radiation level.

I would expect the radiation from an inverter and batteries to be much less than the background level to start with. So shielding would be kind of pointless.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think that the issue, at the trace radiation level, is that the level of radioactive isotopes in the environment (i.e strontium, cesium, iodine, etc. ) is far higher since atmospheric testing began than it ever was from purely natural sources.
So for some scientific experiments you could stop all (almost all) of the incoming gamma rays but replace some of them with emissions from contaminants in the steel itself.

Tapatalk!

fmtjfw

I think that the issue, at the trace radiation level, is that the level of radioactive isotopes in the environment (i.e strontium, cesium, iodine, etc. ) is far higher since atmospheric testing began than it ever was from purely natural sources.
So for some scientific experiments you could stop all (almost all) of the incoming gamma rays but replace some of them with emissions from contaminants in the steel itself.

Tapatalk!

Precisely. Battleship armor pre-1940 is prized by researchers who are measuring low levels of radiation because it is less radioactive than post-1960 steel.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK (cartoon on sidebar)
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2971/is-steel-from-scuttled-german-warships-valuable-because-it-isn-t-contaminated-with-radioactivity

Last edited:

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Frequency Pollution

Frequency Pollution

The worst immediate radiation matter aside from Fukushima is WiFi and after that Cell Phone.
The ignorance of just how dangerous these technologies are is mind boggling.
Even worse, those that have some understanding of high tech process in other areas of engineering are turning a blind eye and in denial because they have been duped along with the mass populace and hooked into the system. Or should I say jacked in, wired in plugged in???? Cyborged in???
All of this microwave " Tek " is a bad idea and people are wlaking around like zombies with their gadgets. Its an overt and obvious addiction that seemingly happened over night. It makes the poison that microwave ovens produce seem benevolent in comparison to how destructive it is to human biology.
Being frequency sensitive is actually a good thing because one will automatically move away from this kind of microwave assault when possible.
Barrie Trower is an expert on this matter and his talks and papers can be found for those wanting the hard science.
He is also not the only expert out there telling the truth. There are many others and just like most great men in our history they are being marginalized because people are not wanting to face the truth of the matter.

Rampage_Rick

Sorry, but countless double-blind studies have shown no proof of "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" or negative health effects aside from high-power thermal heating effects. (As in 1000+ watts) Microwaves are non-ionizing radiation and do not have enough energy to damage DNA, plus the fact that we're constantly irradiated from space. You think microwaves are bad, you should read up on cosmic rays...

It's quite easy to perform a scientific test yourself with available WiFi equipment, but if performed properly in true double-blind fashion, you will get the same results as every other test: People's "symptoms" correlate with when they think they are being microwaved, not when they actually are.

These types of illnesses do have a scientific explanation:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Another possibility that just occurred to me:
If your desk is in your Mom's basement, you might be inhaling radon...

So even this is not going to help if that's the case...
demotivational-poster-tin-foil-cubicle_3272011114451am.jpg

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.