Insulated Tools VS Wrapped in Electrical Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist003

What are your thoughts on using tools wrapped with electrical tape on energized switchgear in a pinch? I know the old timers did this when insulated tools were not even available, but is this even acceptable now?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My understanding regarding the use of insulated tools is that they are intended to provide some level of protection in the event of incidental contact with energized wire/equipment, not that they allow you to safely work on energized equipment by providing primary protection. After your tools have been bouncing around in your tool bag/truck/trunk for a year or three, just what level of protection would you expect them to provide?

kentirwin

70E Says:

70E Says:

NFPA 2015 130.7(D)(1)a

(a) Requirements for Insulated Tools. The following
requirements shall apply to insulated tools:
(1) Insulated tools shall be rated for the voltages on which
they are used.
(2) Insulated tools shall be designed and constructed for
the environment to which they are exposed and the
manner in which they are used.
(3) Insulated tools and equipment shall be inspected prior
to each use. The inspection shall look for damage to the
insulation or damage that can limit the tool from performing
its intended function or could increase the potential
for an incident (e.g., damaged tip on a
screwdriver).
130.7 ARTICLE 130? WORK INVOLVING ELECTRICAL HAZARDS
70E?

Last edited:

cornbread

Being one of those old timer that used taped tools, I happy I'm still here able to post to this thread. Had several close calls where the tool slipped and damaged the tape, lucky for me I had several layers of tape. Insulated tools are sooooo much more robust. I Agree with the others on this thread do not work it hot. If you h appen to fall into on of those rare cases where it is more of a hazard to shut it off than work it hot...then use the proper PPE & the best insuated tools money can buy.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
which one.JPG

"All catalog numbers for Klein insulated tools have the suffix "-INS" and are marked with the official international 1000-volt rating symbol. Remember, not all tools with plastic coatings or plastic handles provide protection against electrical shock. Only use those tools that are marked with the official international 1000-volt rating symbol, as shown below, if there is any chance that the tool will make contact with an energized source."

fmtjfw

SAFETY FIRST

SAFETY FIRST

Remember if you are using properly insulated tools (marked with a double triangle) you will also need to wear insulated rubber gloves and glove protectors for at least the actual voltage. And you only do this when hot work is required to diagnose a problem, not when fixing the problem (which is done de-energized). AND you are a Qualified Person as defined in 70E.

Work Safe!

iwire

Staff member
Seems like a good time to remind folks that in general we cannot 'work live' even with PPE and insulated tools.

There are very few reasons OSHA will allow live work.

1910.333(a)(1)

"Deenergized parts." Live parts to which an employee may be exposed shall be deenergized before the employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. Live parts that operate at less than 50 volts to ground need not be deenergized if there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or to explosion due to electric arcs.

Note 1: Examples of increased or additional hazards include interruption of life support equipment, deactivation of emergency alarm systems, shutdown of hazardous location ventilation equipment, or removal of illumination for an area.

Note 2: Examples of work that may be performed on or near energized circuit parts because of infeasibility due to equipment design or operational limitations include testing of electric circuits that can only be performed with the circuit energized and work on circuits that form an integral part of a continuous industrial process in a chemical plant that would otherwise need to be completely shut down in order to permit work on one circuit or piece of equipment.

Note 3: Work on or near deenergized parts is covered by paragraph (b) of this section.

..1910.333(a)(2)

Keep in mind, any decisions you make you must be able to defend in court later if the crap hits the fan.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Seems like a good time to remind folks that in general we cannot 'work live' even with PPE and insulated tools.

There are very few reasons OSHA will allow live work.

Keep in mind, any decisions you make you must be able to defend in court later if the crap hits the fan.

If I had a dollar for EVERYTIME that I explain this or was told that I was #1. :lol:

krist003

Thanks for all of the info guys. Just to clarify, I don't do any hot work, but I was talking to a guy at the supply house after I was looking at some insulated tools (just out of curiosity). He mentioned that back in the day he used to wrap his tools in tape. I told him that I doubt that would fly anymore and I don't think I would trust that. I was just curious on what regulations there was on this.

krist003

This got me thinking again. Say you needed to torque down a lug while the unit was energized. You of course would be wearing appropriate PPE. Could you use a non-insulated torque wrench with a long insulated extension? Or would the extension have to be so long as to get you out of the restricted or limited approach boundary?

Also, say you have a insulated torque wrench and extension, do you need to have an insulated socket or hex socket tip? The socket is so short it would not likely make contact between live parts.

kentirwin

This got me thinking again. Say you needed to torque down a lug while the unit was energized. You of course would be wearing appropriate PPE. Could you use a non-insulated torque wrench with a long insulated extension? Or would the extension have to be so long as to get you out of the restricted or limited approach boundary?

Also, say you have a insulated torque wrench and extension, do you need to have an insulated socket or hex socket tip? The socket is so short it would not likely make contact between live parts.

By strict interpretation of 70E the torque wrench, extension and socket all have to be insulated. All of those are available with 1000V insulation. I believe much of the reasoning behind the insulation of tools is not so much shock prevention because you're already supposed to be wearing voltage rated gloves. It is in case the tool goes inadvertently where you didn't intend it to. Or you accidentally leave it behind and it later falls, etc. into energized parts possibly causing a fault.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Good time to point out the the Klein "beating screwdrivers" now being sold are conductive from the metal cap to the shaft. I metered a few of them and they are all conductive. I refuse to buy them for this reason. By the nature of the work, this is dangerous.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is what I used for 30 plus years.

my_linemans.JPG

It makes you think about whether it is really necessary for the task at hand to be done hot.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.