Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be silly but....it could clarify a lot throughout interpretations of the NEC. If the scope of the NEC is to provide safety of persons and Property. Service conductors in a raceway then a timeclock on a branch circuit conductor within a service raceway having a service line to a branch circuit line fault would potentially cause a safety hazard the NEC says that this is allowed as I understand it. But it is potentially unsafe and putting that line that supplies the timeclock in its own raceway to me is very practical. So its not inpractical and would provide a safer alternative. Could this be of any violation because the intent of the NEC is to be safe this could be in itself unsafe and could defeat the intent of scope of the NEC it in fact the NEC is a safety oriented and could violate the purpose of the NEC. Sorry I tried to explain it as best I could. Anyone please clarify the best you can and thank you in advance.
Just trying to learn
Brian

iwire

Staff member
Service conductors in a raceway then a timeclock on a branch circuit conductor within a service raceway having a service line to a branch circuit line fault would potentially cause a safety hazard the NEC says that this is allowed as I understand it.

Brian,

In general the NEC prohibits other conductors from being in the same raceway as service conductors for the very reason you have come to.

230.7 Other Conductors in Raceway or Cable. Conductors other than service conductors shall not be installed in the same service raceway or service cable.

Exception No.1: Grounding electrode conductors and equipment bonding jumpers or conductors.

Exception No.2: Load management control conductors having overcurrent protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.