Meaning of "Site-Specific level of PPE" in NFPA 70E 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinos

In article 130.5(D) "Equipment Labeling" of NFPA 70E 2015, it mentions "Site-specific level of PPE".

While the standard has "Category Method" based PPE defined in Table 130.7(C)(16), and PPE based on determination (calculation) of incident energy in Informative Annex H, I cannot find what defines "Site-specific level of PPE".

Whereas article 130.5(D) appears to indicate that a "Category Method" based PPE CANNOT be put on an arc-flash label along with the (calculated) available incident energy and working distance, it seems that the "Site-specific level of PPE" CAN be included with the available incident energy and working distance, as it falls under "at least one of the following" per 130.5(D)(3).

Does anyone know definitively what the meaning of "Site-specific level of PPE" is?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In article 130.5(D) Does anyone know definitively what the meaning of "Site-specific level of PPE" is?
The definition should be in your company's Electrical Safe Work Practices program.

Think of it kind of like your company's uniform policy. Your company gets to decide what PPE should be worn.
Most companies do not want that responsibility so they will often end up using lists of PPE that look almost identical to the tables in NFPA70E.
Other companies will tweak the lists slightly. For example my company allows us to use the items listed as "Cat 2" PPE all the way up to 12 cal/cm^2 as long as their ATPV is that high.

dinos

The definition should be in your company's Electrical Safe Work Practices program.

Thank you Jim...I think that will do the trick for the time being.

We have ordered the handbook for NFPA 70E 2015 in case it offers further discussion on the meaning/application of this particular Article.

SITE SPECIFIC LEVEL OF PPE

SITE SPECIFIC LEVEL OF PPE

Hello,

The term site specific is pertaining to the different levels of PPE provided: (i.e., A, B, C, or D) as being more suitable to the hazards of the work. It should be cautioned that the listed PPE does not fully address the performance of the specific PPE material in relation to the specific hazards at the job site, and that PPE selection, evaluation and re-selection is an ongoing process until sufficient information about the hazards and PPE performance is obtained.

Example:

Part A. Personal protective equipment is divided into four categories based on the degree of protection afforded. (See Part B of this appendix for further explanation of Levels A, B, C, and D hazards.)
I. Level A - To be selected when the greatest level of skin, respiratory, and eye protection is required.
The following constitute Level A equipment; it may be used as appropriate;
1. Positive pressure, full face-piece self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), or positive pressure supplied air respirator with escape SCBA, approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
2. Totally-encapsulating chemical-protective suit.
3. Coveralls.(1)
4. Long underwear.(1)
5. Gloves, outer, chemical-resistant.
6. Gloves, inner, chemical-resistant.
7. Boots, chemical-resistant, steel toe and shank.
8. Hard hat (under suit).(1)
9. Disposable protective suit, gloves and boots (depending on suit construction, may be worn over totally-encapsulating suit).

Status
Not open for further replies.