DC Current on Sink in Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When I was a child, we lived in a new suburban area that had been an orchard, so no city services at first. Everyone had their own well (and septic tank by the way, which I didn't understand the gravity of until much much later). At one house, the owner had increased the capacity of his well and tank. He used what I assumed much later in life, must have been a conductive level probe system, something like a BW or Warrick Relay if you've ever seen one. That relay in essence energizes the tank through a transformer and uses the flow of current to ground to the tank walls through the probes when they are in water to operate the relay and turn on the pump.

Essential to that working correctly is an extremely good connection of the tank to ground. But this guy must have done something wrong, and there must have been what I realize now was too much resistance to ground in his connection, likely corrosion or something on the connection to the galvanized tank. I only know of the effect because as kids, we got a thrill out of getting a line of kids in the neighborhood together for a "tingle line" as we called it. One kid, usually the oldest, would stand with one hand on the steel tank, then hold hands with another, then another, all the way to the end of the line. The last kid would touch a pipe, and we would all get a tingle! The fewer the kids we got in line, the more it hurt, so the party had to be at least 5 of us, otherwise we couldn't take it... Jeez, I shudder to think of how badly that COULD have gone!

Point well taken! I have been surprised, just when Im ready to write someone off as being a little paranoid, how often I do find something that adds up to what they were talking about.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Do not just assume that the meter is high input impedance just because it is digital.
If it has a low input impedance (say 1000 ohms), then .32V DC corresponds to .32mA, which is pretty hard to detect on a body, but that does not mean that the open circuit voltage is not a lot higher. And with some stray capacitance in the circuit you could get a detectable jolt when you first make contact.

Also, what if anything, was the AC reading????

Status
Not open for further replies.