Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sub Contractor for Turner Construction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sub Contractor for Turner Construction

    Has anyone had experience working with Turner Construction as an electrical contractor. I am curious about the details of their safety program with a focus on the "ladder last resort" program. How does that effect scheduling.

    #2
    Yes, and it causes a lot of problems and expense to you. And another big expense depending on the number of people that you will have on the project is that every person will have to waste a day watching movies before they will be allowed to work on the project.

    Roger
    Moderator

    Comment


      #3
      What is ladder last resort program.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Sierrasparky View Post
        What is ladder last resort program.
        Basically they do not want ladders on their projects, they want lifts, scaffolds, or any other means besides ladders. If you are going to use a ladder you must fill out paper work the day before.

        Roger
        Moderator

        Comment


          #5
          So... setting four milk crates on the top of a scaffold and setting up a six foot A-frame on them would be a no-no?

          In all seriousness, does this also apply to smaller ladders or the newer type of platform ladders, like a four footer or a 18"-24" folding platform? It would seem pretty ridiculous to get a lift or scaffold set up if you only need to get 1-2 feet higher than ground level just so you can have a safety rail around you.
          Peter A.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by PetrosA View Post
            It would seem pretty ridiculous
            Welcome to Turner.

            Roger
            Moderator

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by PetrosA View Post
              So... setting four milk crates on the top of a scaffold and setting up a six foot A-frame on them would be a no-no?

              In all seriousness, does this also apply to smaller ladders or the newer type of platform ladders, like a four footer or a 18"-24" folding platform? It would seem pretty ridiculous to get a lift or scaffold set up if you only need to get 1-2 feet higher than ground level just so you can have a safety rail around you.
              How do they feel about drywaller type stilts?

              Comment


                #8
                CalOSHA forbids stilts!

                Comment


                  #9
                  We work for them all of the time and their no ladder policy is absurd. I honestly don't know how my boss makes money on their jobs.
                  Rob

                  Moderator

                  All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Considering they want all this:


                    Copy of W-9
                    List of company license numbers
                    List of state sales tax numbers
                    List of state unemployment insurance numbers
                    List of insurance agreements
                    List of current projects
                    List of recently completed projects
                    Current financial statement

                    Bank information
                    Dun and Bradstreet information
                    Surety information
                    3 supplier references
                    3 contractor references
                    Independent verification letter supporting your EMR for last 3 years
                    OSHA 300 logs from last 3 years
                    Insurance information

                    Plus they won't let me use my handy-dandy four-footer? They can go pound sand.
                    Peter A.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Even that can't compare with a PICS audit...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by infinity View Post
                        We work for them all of the time and their no ladder policy is absurd. I honestly don't know how my boss makes money on their jobs.
                        Your boss makes money because he builds the "ladders last" program into his bid, just like the other subs do. Turner wants it, and they're willing to pay for it. Turner's other program, "Nothing Hits the Ground" is designed to eliminate waste. Contractors who learn to do that well make even more money.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'm on a Skanska job and they are heading that way, too.
                          [COLOR="Blue"]It's not rocket surgery![/COLOR]

                          Comment


                            #14
                            This was years ago, but Turner came to our office to show us their safety program. I remember something like they are self insured or something.

                            The last job I inspected everyone had to wear at least fingerless gloves. Some inspectors had a hissy fit. Some inspectors are such primadonas. They gave me a pair of gloves to wear. No big deal.

                            I think the least we as inspectors can do is to abide by jobsite safety rules. After all we're asking them to abide by the Codes. I know they're bound by law to do it anyway.

                            It's about mutual respect.

                            I know this is different than your issue with the ladder safety.
                            I'm a Retired Inspector, what do I know?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by sandsnow View Post
                              ...

                              The last job I inspected everyone had to wear at least fingerless gloves. Some inspectors had a hissy fit. Some inspectors are such primadonas. They gave me a pair of gloves to wear. No big deal.

                              ...
                              I can certainly understand the other inspectors. The last time many of us were forced to do silly things was in grade school. Forcing a grown individual to wear fingerless gloves while performing an inspection would, at first glance, appear to be an affront to any educated intelligence. Aside from needing to remain open-minded as a guest on a jobsite, there should also be some understanding on the part of those who make up their own safety rules and they should be willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to explain those rules to the uninitiated guest. If they can't do that, then maybe those rules really are just silly.
                              Peter A.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X