CO Detector on Tool Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Got the idea of attaching a CO Detector to my tool tray from someone in the HVAC industry. This one is a 'Kidde CO Alarm Battery Operated With Digital Display'. When you're in doubt about the space you're in just press the button on the front for a reading. Keep spares in your truck just in case a customer wants to buy one. I have a relative in a 10 - year old home with gas appliances and she has no CO detectors. She is in Atlanta where it wasn't code at the time.
IMG_1243.jpg

Upnorth

Not a bad idea, provided you understand that a CO detector like that is designed to have a response time of up to 15 minutes for a concentration at 6,400 ppm, which could be lethal within 10 minutes. An EMT in NH was killed last Thanksgiving when she entered a detached garage to refuel her mother's backup power generator that had been shut off 8 hours earlier. Tragic.

Ravenvalor

Not a bad idea, provided you understand that a CO detector like that is designed to have a response time of up to 15 minutes for a concentration at 6,400 ppm, which could be lethal within 10 minutes. An EMT in NH was killed last Thanksgiving when she entered a detached garage to refuel her mother's backup power generator that had been shut off 8 hours earlier. Tragic.

I was told that this one will give you a reading when you press the 'Peak Level' button on the front.

That's a tragic loss for a family and a community.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I was told that this one will give you a reading when you press the 'Peak Level' button on the front.

That's a tragic loss for a family and a community.
I would expect that the button would give you the highest level recorded in the last N hours, not the level the sensor will report 15 minutes from now.

But is the sensor really that slow or is it the cycle time of reading it?

Ravenvalor

I would expect that the button would give you the highest level recorded in the last N hours, not the level the sensor will report 15 minutes from now.

My apologies for being ignorant about a product that I am bragging about. I will do a little research on this detector today and see what I can dig up. It's the Model #KN-COPP-B-LPM

Thanks for the clarification.

Ravenvalor

Your premise seems to be spot on. Here is some info pulled off the website.

CarbonCarbon Monoxide PPM Levels

(model KN-COPP-B-LPM with digital display only)
Model KN-COPP-B-LPM is equipped with a digital display that shows
levels of CO (displayed in PPM ? parts per million). Learn the difference
between dangerous, high, mid and low levels.
Dangerous Levels:
When someone is experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning and CO read-
ings are generally above 100 PPM. Anytime someone is experiencing the
symptoms of CO poisoning this should be treated as an emergency. See
?What to do When the Alarm Sounds? (inside front cover).
High Levels:
Generally above 100 PPM, with no one experiencing symptoms. This
should be treated as an urgent situation. See ?What to do When the
Alarm Sounds? (inside front cover).
Mid Levels:
Generally between 50 PPM to 100 PPM. This should be cause for concern
and should not be ignored or dismissed. See ?What to do When the
Alarm Sounds? (inside front cover).
Low Levels:
Generally below 50 PPM. Kidde recommends you take action to eliminate
the source of CO. See ?What to do When the Alarm Sounds? (inside
front cover).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This CO alarm is designed to act as a monitor; it is not designed for use
as a short-term testing device to perform a quick check for the presence
of CO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accuracy of Digital Display: (Model KN-COPP-B-LPM Only)
30-999 PPM +/-30% when measured in conditions of 80? F (+/- 10?
F), atmospheric pressure +/- 10% and 40% +/- 3% relative humidity.
Display readings may vary slightly depending on changes in the ambient
condition (temperature, humidity) and the condition of the sensor.
Alarm Response Times:
70 PPM = 60-240 min., 150 PPM = 10-50 min., 400 PPM = 4-15 min.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It's still not a bad idea. As long as the area you're entering isn't already hazardous it could be useful. The LC50 for rats is 3,760 ppm after one hour, so you should have plenty of warning if there's just seepage from a bad appliance. And if you're a rat. ;) The CDC gives the IDLH for humans as 1,200ppm.

Upnorth

FWIW, some of our local HAZMAT and "confined space" rescue guys are issued personal monitors in the range of $100 to $700, depending upon whether it's single-gas or multiple-gas sensor. Response time: 30 seconds. Automatic alarms can be selected at 25, 50, 200, over 500 ppm, STEL (short-term exposure limit) or TWA (time-weighted average). Clips onto PPE. As an incident safety officer, I might carry the $1,000 multi-gas unit.

spark master

I carry a little personal CO detector. The battery last well over 1 year. I keep it in my winter coat pocket, buried at the bottom, under my hat & gloves. Believe it or not, it still reads CO. My car sets it off on cold mornings.

They also offer an optional clip for your hard hat.

Glock23gp

This is a multi gas monitor that has a non replaceable 2yr battery that is clipped to my hard hat and goes everywhere with me. I think it costs $100.

d1fdc19103c659cacd161f00b3dbb5e6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.