Multiple E-stop 1 enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer that has a couple of process machines with multiple E-stops in 1 enclosure. Is there any code in the NEC or OSHA stating this as a code violation? I feel that it is unsafe but If i had code to back me up it would help out. picture attached

any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• mee.JPG
    mee.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a customer that has a couple of process machines with multiple E-stops in 1 enclosure. Is there any code in the NEC or OSHA stating this as a code violation? I feel that it is unsafe but If i had code to back me up it would help out. picture attached

any help is appreciated!

what is wrong with having zone estops?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not a code issue, but a signing and safety design issue: Somebody in a big hurry has to know with some certainty which e-stop controls which machine(s) or else they will just hit all of them to be sure.
Having your e-stop close to the controlled machine makes the association clearer, but can also make it harder to find than a central location.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not a code issue, but a signing and safety design issue: Somebody in a big hurry has to know with some certainty which e-stop controls which machine(s) or else they will just hit all of them to be sure.
Having your e-stop close to the controlled machine makes the association clearer, but can also make it harder to find than a central location.

I would suggest this. It is extremely rare that estops are actually used in a situation that is safety related. It just does not happen. It is about trying to prevent damage or further damage to equipment as opposed to actual safety.

If it is about safety, someone really screwed up with the design of the equipment because it should never get to the point where you have to hit the estop to prevent someone from being harmed.

i have seen estops tripped hundreds of times. not once has it been to prevent harm to a human being. always to reduce or prevent machine damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.