Safety glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety glasses?

How many guys actually wear safety glasses all day every day?

I have worked at places where u absouloutly had to have them on and it seems not to bother me after a
    little while. My shop now their optional and i cant seem to keep them on or even close by. Plus they end up in a pile of tools n their ruined. A special pouch seems to put them with my less commonly used tools... where their not readily accessible.

Any tips on storage, brand and habits from the guys that do wear them?
    "Itís because the American worker is experienced, loyal, and hardworking!" Red Forman

Originally posted by Electrical Student View Post

I have worked at places where u absouloutly had to have them on and it seems not to bother me after a
    little while. My shop now their optional and i cant seem to keep them on or even close by. Plus they end up in a pile of tools n their ruined. A special pouch seems to put them with my less commonly used tools... where their not readily accessible.

I wear glasses. Eye tests here are free for those ancient people like myself. You can shop around for lenses made to that fit that prescription. My company (Eaton Corporation) did to get safety lenses so I wore those as my regular glasses.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

Go buy flash protection rated glasses on line , they're cheaper by the box

I just keep 'em on my gourd all day, now & then they get cleaned off in a cellar or crawlspace

But i've learned to wear them anytime i energize anything.....I became a 'believer' the hard way back when an Xformer blew on me & blinded me for a good 5 min's....

~RJ~

Comment

Some GC's that we work with require them to be worn all of the time. Other GC's require them when cutting, drilling, chopping, etc. With the latter group no one voluntarily wears them all of the time. The same would apply to hardhats if they were optional.
        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I worry about eye protection both on and off the job so my prescription glasses are safety glasses. Therefore, I am protected most of my waking hours every day of the year. (I don't however wear the removable side shields unless I'm on a construction site or at the gun range. I've had spent brass hit me there.) You only have two eyes and it would really suck to lose one. My glasses have saved my eyes more than once and have the scratched lenses to prove it.

I also require my employees to wear safety glasses when on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
            My glasses have saved my eyes more than once and have the scratched lenses to prove it.
            And I can say the same thing.

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
            I also require my employees to wear safety glasses when on the clock.
            And another

I will also say hearing protection should be along the same lines, I am hard of hearing now (started back in my 40's) and wish there would have been more requirements for protection during my early career. Besides the hearing loss I am high pitch tone deaf (I attribute this to loud squealing drill motors and such) and can't even hear my dog whine witch bugs the heck out of my wife. I have to rely on her to hear the brake indicators on our cars.

Roger

Comment

One time I went to a plant where I was always expected to wear a hard hat, but this time I was only going into the office, so was told I could leave it in the car. I already had it out, so I took it anyway and the most convenient place to carry it was on my head. As I was leaving at the end of the day, I came down and enclosed staircase where they had obviously added the enclosure and fire door as an afterthought, because they had to cut into the last concrete step for the door. because of the difference in height, and the fact that I was talking AND walking (too much for brain), my heel caught the edge of the step and pitched me forward into the fire door, head first. The force of the impact split my helmet in half; that would have been my SKULL! Ever since then, I wear my PPE whether I think I need it or not.
              __________________________________________________ ____________________________
              Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Get one of those straps with the rubber ends that slide onto the ends of your safety glasses, and wear them around your neck
                Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Comment

My first job out of college was in an explosives manufacturing plant, for 11 years. I got so used to wearing them that at my next job, where they weren't required I felt uncomfortable not wearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
                    . . . witch bugs the heck out of my wife.
                    Your Freudian slip is showing.
                    Master Electrician
                    Electrical Contractor
                    Richmond, VA

Comment

All day, every day.

I wear prescription glasses, progressive lenses. The company helps pay for them ($150/year). Proper glasses cost more than that but my eyes I can't put a price on.

My tip is if you wear prescription glasses, is get prescription safety glasses. You won't need to take them off to see. Get multi-focal glasses if you need them so you don't need to change glasses. If you don't wear glasses shop around and find comfortable glasses, don't be afraid to try many pair, until you find the ones that won't fog or otherwise hinder your vision. Then get in the habit of always keeping them on, don't take them off just because you are in an area that doesn't require them.

I used to wear MCR Klondike metal frame glasses, very comfortable but didn't like the fact they were conductive. They sell a plastic version as well. I bought from http://safetycompany.com inexpensive and quick. Also don't forget to pick up a breakaway lanyard (hard to forget them if they are around your neck) and a hardshell case that will protect them even banging around in a tool box (still better to wear them, but for after quitting time).

Also if you get inexpensive ones (MCR Klondike are <$5 each), don't just get one pair, get several. When they get scratched get rid of them. Otherwise you will be tempted to remove them because the scratch interferes with your vision.

I only have one pair that is scratched. A souvenir of when a cutting disc I was using disintegrated leaving me with a laceration above and below my eye and a ruined pair of safety glasses, but I still have vision in both eyes, so I call that a win.

I'm a firm believer in PPE. I'm in an engineering/supervisory capacity these days but I wear safety boots, safety glasses, hardhat, high visibility, and FR clothing every single day. Most days I'm not exposed to those hazards, but I don't have to change if I'm needed to go into a hazardous area, also I'm not tempted to walk into such an area unprepared.

Comment

Originally posted by Timbert View Post
                        All day, every day.

I wear prescription glasses, progressive lenses. The company helps pay for them ($150/year). Proper glasses cost more than that but my eyes I can't put a price on.

My tip is if you wear prescription glasses, is get prescription safety glasses. You won't need to take them off to see. Get multi-focal glasses if you need them so you don't need to change glasses. If you don't wear glasses shop around and find comfortable glasses, don't be afraid to try many pair, until you find the ones that won't fog or otherwise hinder your vision. Then get in the habit of always keeping them on, don't take them off just because you are in an area that doesn't require them.

I used to wear MCR Klondike metal frame glasses, very comfortable but didn't like the fact they were conductive. They sell a plastic version as well. I bought from http://safetycompany.com inexpensive and quick. Also don't forget to pick up a breakaway lanyard (hard to forget them if they are around your neck) and a hardshell case that will protect them even banging around in a tool box (still better to wear them, but for after quitting time).

Also if you get inexpensive ones (MCR Klondike are <$5 each), don't just get one pair, get several. When they get scratched get rid of them. Otherwise you will be tempted to remove them because the scratch interferes with your vision.

I only have one pair that is scratched. A souvenir of when a cutting disc I was using disintegrated leaving me with a laceration above and below my eye and a ruined pair of safety glasses, but I still have vision in both eyes, so I call that a win.

I'm a firm believer in PPE. I'm in an engineering/supervisory capacity these days but I wear safety boots, safety glasses, hardhat, high visibility, and FR clothing every single day. Most days I'm not exposed to those hazards, but I don't have to change if I'm needed to go into a hazardous area, also I'm not tempted to walk into such an area unprepared.
                        What about your underwear? Does it have any polyester in it?
                        If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                          Your Freudian slip is showing.
                          Oh oh

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                            When I worked in the explosive plant they did strongly suggest you wear cotton "tighty whities." They weren't about to do inspections, but the image of having your undies melted onto your skin was a pretty strong incentive for most folks.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                              If you really must know, 100% cotton (except for the allowable incidental amount of elastic). Socks are wool. If I'm wearing thermals they are wool too. I don't wear anything that could potentially melt to my skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X