Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Certs

    I have been hired by a company as an Electrical Inspector to help verify UL/CE/IEC and other various certifications of electrical material before it is purchased or placed into stock. I am trying to build a database of resource to reference. Anyone have any suggestions on websites to access third party certs?

    #2
    Not sure what you are asking but here is a list of 3rd party testing labs that North Carolina accepts

    http://www.nciaei.org/wp-content/upl...irdPartyAg.pdf
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks

      Thanks for the reply, that is a start. I have a few others. What we are trying to do is eliminate the counterfeit material that is flooding the market this side of the world including counterfeit certs submitted by suppliers.

      Comment


        #4
        We have seen uncertified Sq. D breakers. They use the same name and listing etc....They have no shame in making illegal products
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

        Comment


          #5
          Creative

          Unfortunately due to OPSEC concerns I cant share photos or specifics but you would be blown away by the creativity of some of the manufactures, everything from high voltage transformers, cable, switches to simple enclosures.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by drembert01 View Post
            Unfortunately due to OPSEC concerns I cant share photos or specifics but you would be blown away by the creativity of some of the manufactures, everything from high voltage transformers, cable, switches to simple enclosures.
            we get it. we have been awash in fake consumer products for decades.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	counterfeiting-of-goods-4-638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2379412
            ~New signature under construction.~
            ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks

              That's a great graph, mind if I use it as part of a powerpoint I'm putting together for some new team members coming in??

              Comment


                #8
                That graph was taken from the web so I am sure you can use it
                They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                I can't help it if I'm lucky

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by drembert01 View Post
                  That's a great graph, mind if I use it as part of a powerpoint I'm putting together for some new team members coming in??
                  You may want to find a newer pie chart... That one is apparently a decade-old. And while I don't think anybody is going to take exception if you used that pie chart in a presentation, not everything on the internet is in the public domain. Using any copyrighted material is usually not a problem as long as you are not trying to make money on it.
                  Electricians do it until it Hertz!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    With respect to UL, you can go to UL.com and find information on how to spot fakes, as well as a web based database search engine in which you can enter a UL file number and it will give you the name of the actual manufacturer and their file info that will tell you what it is listed for/as and where the listing label must be and what it must have on it. Often when counterfeiters do this, that’s a level of detail they don’t bother with. Also if the actual manufacturer shown on the product is not the same as what UL says, or the file number doesn’t match the product or description, those are major red flags.

                    IEC is I think more difficult when it comes to detecting counterfeits, because it is all “self certified”, there is no third party testing agency like UL. CE is a little better in that there are third party testing agencies that provide testing and certification, but some of the bigger companies can self certify as well. But CE listing is not indicative of what the product is supposed to do or how it performs, it is just mostly about its EMI/RFI emissions. I’ve seen people misinterpret this here in the US as if “CE listing” is the same thing as UL, when in truth it is nothing of the sort. I can get a CE label on a water bottle with two wires in it so long as when I connect the wires, they don’t cause interference in adjacent electronics.
                    Last edited by Jraef; 05-25-18, 11:11 AM.
                    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

                    I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jraef View Post
                      With respect to UL, you can go to UL.com and find information on how to spot fakes, as well as a web based database search engine in which you can enter a UL file number and it will give you the name of the actual manufacturer and their file info that will tell you what it is listed for/as and where the listing label must be and what it must have on it. Often when counterfeiters do this, that’s a level of detail they don’t bother with. Also if the actual manufacturer shown on the product is not the same as what UL says, or the file number doesn’t match the product or description, those are major red flags.

                      IEC is I think more difficult when it comes to detecting counterfeits, because it is all “self certified”, there is no third party testing agency like UL. CE is a little better in that there are third party testing agencies that provide testing and certification, but some of the bigger companies can self certify as well. But CE listing is not indicative of what the product is supposed to do or how it performs, it is just mostly about its EMI/RFI emissions. I’ve seen people misinterpret this here in the US as if “CE listing” is the same thing as UL, when in truth it is nothing of the sort. I can get a CE label on a water bottle with two wires in it so long as when I connect the wires, they don’t cause interference in adjacent electronics.
                      "Bob"
                      Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
                      Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X