Dry type transformer used as shelf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwired View Post
    You are too far south to have such need.
    The farther south you go, the colder the air conditioning is set. Some places I work in I have to wear a sweater.

Originally posted by wbdvt View Post
    I had thought this would be the correct place to ask this question with all of the experience and diversity here but out of 5 answers only one was serious, valid and helpful. I would have thought that responsible, serious, helpful responses would have been more than 20%.
    You are correct that this is the right place. You'll find no finer place on the internet to ask such questions. But you didn't do enough research on us. If you had, you would know that joking around and humorous comments are a normal part of this forum. There was no attempt to offend you. Being responsible, serious, and helpful 100% of the time is tiring and boring.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 12-19-18, 05:22 PM.

Comment

What's the Disconnect doing behind that warm transformer? lol

Comment

Why would this not be considered a violation of 110.26.B, space above electrical equipment?

(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section
        shall not be used for storage.
        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
          Why would this not be considered a violation of 110.26.B, space above electrical equipment?
          Is the top side of such a unit in the required working space?

Is there a required working space for all transformers?
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Before you walk in a room that you know has transformers humming, have you ever tried the 60 cycle hum before you enter? I have it down to one to two cycles in pitch! I would screw up if I went to Canada at 50 cycles! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gary11734 View Post
              Before you walk in a room that you know has transformers humming, have you ever tried the 60 cycle hum before you enter? I have it down to one to two cycles in pitch! I would screw up if I went to Canada at 50 cycles! lol
              Canada is 60 Hz, eh?

Comment

What is the applicable definition of "storage?"

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  Canada is 60 Hz, eh?
                  I think so.

Comment

Canada is 60 Hz, eh?
                    Was the last time I was there...............
                    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

Canada is 60 Hz, eh?
                      I always heard you guys North were at 50Hz!

The story was that you could see fluorescent fixtures flicker!

OK, we all hum at 60Hz together!

Comment

The story has no validity. Canada is 60Hz.
                        Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

Canadians have different vision abilities?

I've seen a lot of fluorescent flicker, some rather strange pattern as well, but have figured it to be poor quality control or other malfunction and not direct result of source frequency.

Comment

...The story was that you could see fluorescent fixtures flicker!...
                            Maybe a colder ambient temperature thing?

Do the electrical grids cross at all? Maybe just places like Point Roberts, WA?

Comment

I don't think it's much of a hazard. The windings might reach 175°C during a "normal" overload, but the lid won't be anywhere near that hot, let alone close to the infamous 233°C. (Fahrenheit 451)

(B) Clear Spaces. Working space required by this section shall not be used for storage.
                              Violation or not, it wouldn’t hurt to label it "CAUTION: Electrical Apparatus - Hot Surface - Keep Clear".

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                              You are too far south to have such need.
                              Don't be so quick to judge. Many people who live in the South don't have much tolerance for the cold, and some people with cold-intolerant medical conditions migrate to the South.

Comment

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
                                Don't be so quick to judge. Many people who live in the South don't have much tolerance for the cold, and some people with cold-intolerant medical conditions migrate to the South.
                                understand. I know some of those you mention.

I myself don't tolerate heat very well anymore, summers about kill me, even when it isn't really that hot. I don't like extreme cold, but am fine with 25 - 60 F for the most part while working.

Comment

Working...
                                X