No announcement yet.

Crock Pot Sparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our kitchen has no room for seating. My wife likes the idea of outlets out of sight mostly because it frees up wall space for the placement of appliances (either where stored or while in use).
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Also consider any sight lines from seating in other areas, where one might be able to see the cabinetry. I understand there might not be any.
      Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
        Our kitchen has no room for seating. My wife likes the idea of outlets out of sight mostly because it frees up wall space for the placement of appliances (either where stored or while in use).
        Why do you/your wife place appliances on the walls and not the counter?
        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Two days ago, my wife plugged in a crock pot (in the lower half of a duplex receptacle), turned it on, and saw sparks flying. The breaker tripped, there is black discoloration on the receptacle itself (I haven’t tried to clean it yet – it might just be on the surface), there is damage to the plug, and the wire entering the pot is almost completely burnt through.
          Question: Is there likely to be a safety hazard?
          Yes. Every electrical appliance should have at least a minimum insulation resistance. It should be checked periodically before plugging in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sahib View Post
            Yes. Every electrical appliance should have at least a minimum insulation resistance. It should be checked periodically before plugging in.
            Every household kitchen needs a megohmeter in the cupboards

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
              Every household kitchen needs a megohmeter in the cupboards
              OP may like to do it.
              Last edited by Sahib; 12-22-18, 10:14 AM.

Comment

My Wife does not like when I unplug - unused appliances

I have a habit of unplugging unused appliances and my wife thinks it is unwarranted.
                (understood it needs to be plugged in when being used)

I have witnessed shorted appliance cords a number of times. Usually a 20 amp circuit so it can make a mess.
                - Resistance is Futile ..... (if less than < 1 ohm) -

Comment

Originally posted by ELA View Post
                  I have a habit of unplugging unused appliances and my wife thinks it is unwarranted.

I have witnessed shorted appliance cords a number of times. Usually a 20 amp circuit so it can make a mess.
                  It is the nature of married couples to disagree. My evidence is anecdotal based on personal observations of others and my own life experience, but I haven't come across an exception yet.
                  If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Make room for undercabinet lights if any!

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                      It is the nature of married couples to disagree.
                      Quote of the year here

Comment

Its likely during the remodel you will end up with AFCI protection, if any recpts are replaced.
                        On my kitchen counter, the recp I plug toaster into and unplug is now quite loose. It was probably a .39 cent special I got from Eagle Hardware, before they become Lowes. If I replace it I have to use a AFCI...or probably the DF type with GFCI.
                        Moderator-Washington State
                        Ancora Imparo

Comment

Originally posted by tom baker View Post
                          Its likely during the remodel you will end up with AFCI protection, if any recpts are replaced.
                          On my kitchen counter, the recp I plug toaster into and unplug is now quite loose. It was probably a .39 cent special I got from Eagle Hardware, before they become Lowes. If I replace it I have to use a AFCI...or probably the DF type with GFCI.
                          Man oh man! You really know how to have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by tom baker View Post
                            I am concerned about this. The panel was replaced right after we bought the house, about 12 years ago. I do not know whether it is a type that can accept AFCI breakers. In one sense, the receptacles are not being replaced, in that they are essentially being relocated (from wall to under cabinet Wiremold). But the old ones won't be reused, so this is a weak argument. I will discuss with the assigned electrician, but only if he or she mentions it first.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
                            Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

I am concerned about this. The panel was replaced right after we bought the house, about 12 years ago. I do not know whether it is a type that can accept AFCI breakers. In one sense, the receptacles are not being replaced, in that they are essentially being relocated (from wall to under cabinet Wiremold). But the old ones won't be reused, so this is a weak argument. I will discuss with the assigned electrician, but only if he or she mentions it first.

Your breaker panel will accept AFCI breakers I'm sure. I would never install them in my own house.

Comment

Originally posted by ELA View Post

My own opinion is that the reason why the british designed their outlets with on off switches in them is because they felt that the act of unplugging the cords would lead to the cords eventually breaking from the strain of unplugging them improperly while in a hurry. You want prove this is possible? Own IPads and have grandkids using them... see how many IPad cables you go through yearly. Now imagine it was not 5volts 2Amps but was 120volts 15amps...
                                Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Comment

Working...
                                X