Lost a good pair of dikes yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I "notched" an Uncle Henry Bear Paw lock-back doing some work on my '69 Dodge Dart a few decades ago. It was still usable, but also an object lesson.
    One of my buddies used to own a Geo Metro with a curious notch burned into the front fender. I wish I could have seen the battery wrench that helped burn that notch into the fender.
    Gregg

I'm just here for the pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
      I don't do residential any more, but I helped my daughter and her husband buy a house that needs some electrical work, so I volunteered. It's been too long I guess, I lost track of my sequencing and forgot to kill a breaker before continuing on with the next task. Cut off an extra long piece of 14-2 and BAM! I cut a live circuit. Haven't done that for 40 years! In fact the pair of Klein dikes that I ruined were the ones I bought after the last time I did that, circa 1978...

The good news was that I was wearing goggles. The arc sprayed little bits of metal (from the dikes or the wire or both) all over the lenses; that would have been my eyes! There's no such thing as being too safe...
      That would be a good one for the language differences thread close by a moderator for no good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mike7330 View Post
        I must use my pen a thousand times a day.
        Just a thought: The Fluke tick tracer in your picture is only sensitive to 90V, but 50V can kill.

Comment

Originally posted by wtucker View Post
          Just a thought: The Fluke tick tracer in your picture is only sensitive to 90V, but 50V can kill.
          One of my local CED stores carry a similar store name.tagged item with a wider range that I prefer for just that reason.
          Tom
          TBLO

Comment

I have a dual-range one which can be set for auto-ranging or manual.
            Master Electrician
            Electrical Contractor
            Richmond, VA

Comment

51v ?

Originally posted by wtucker View Post
              Oh your just being a kill joy!
              🤓

Comment

Got an email from a 3M safety rep yesterday, she interviewed for a job and didn't get it, but now she has taken us on as an account. I had told her that story, she sent this photo...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eye Protection - Near Miss2_jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2380284
                __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  Funny how that last post is brought up just now. I just got home from a job where my Fluke 1AC failed me. You know how you are supposed to test it on a known live circuit before every time you really need it? Do you ALWAYS do that? I know I always used to. Then there are times where you are in an attic and there are no known lives near you, so you just trust it. I've also learn to simulate a live circuit (don't know how reliable it is but...) by rubbing the tester along my arm and it chirps just like being along a live conductor. Over the years complacency happens, and you just trust it more and more.

The problem with that is how those testers work, and if everything is not absolutely identical between the know live source and the unknown source, that only tells you that the device itself is functional, but does not eliminate the possibility of a false negative.
                  Don, Illinois
                  (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Working...
                  X