Electrical shock 277 v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sahib

The OP had a near miss.

'Near miss' is a management concept. It signifies more serious incident is due to happen unless proactive steps are taken to avoid it. In OP's case, she has to take necessary steps to protect herself in future.

kwired

Electron manager
'Near miss' is a management concept. It signifies more serious incident is due to happen unless proactive steps are taken to avoid it. In OP's case, she has to take necessary steps to protect herself in future.
And should have sought medical exam to ensure there is a future.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I respectfully disagree.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Better still, she keep a checklist about working safely.
Better still, have a method statement, a risk assessment, and a padlocked off supply (LOTO) before any work commenced.
The young lady should not have been allowed to work on that system without all that being in place.
And she should have the padlock key in her possession.

kwired

Electron manager
Better still, have a method statement, a risk assessment, and a padlocked off supply (LOTO) before any work commenced.
The young lady should not have been allowed to work on that system without all that being in place.
And she should have the padlock key in her possession.

All good, but one could still have unexpected current on a grounded conductor if something isn't connected correctly Another load connected to wrong neutral, improperly done MWBC, etc. Most won't learn to be aware of such a possibility until they have been bitten by it, even when they do understand what is going on.

Besoeker3

Occupation
All good, but one could still have unexpected current on a grounded conductor if something isn't connected correctly Another load connected to wrong neutral, improperly done MWBC, etc. Most won't learn to be aware of such a possibility until they have been bitten by it, even when they do understand what is going on.
Yes. I missed out one thing. Test to ensure that the circuit really is dead.
All this should have been explained to her before the job was authorised.
Debatable whether an apprentice should have been allowed to undertake it anyway without senior supervision.

Sahib

All these:testing the circuit, medical exam on getting any shock etc may be compiled into a checklist for the OP to use for her working safely. Any takers? :)

Besoeker3

Occupation
All these:testing the circuit, medical exam on getting any shock etc may be compiled into a checklist for the OP to use for her working safely. Any takers? :)
AKA method statement and risk assessment as I mentioned earlier. For us, these were mandatory for all site work.
It would seem that those were not in place for this shocking near miss. Plus we all carried our own padlocks. The young lady should have had one or been issued with one and kept the key in her back pocket.
A laissez faire approach is not acceptable when it comes to safety in any field, especially ours where the dangers are often invisible.

Sahib

AKA method statement and risk assessment as I mentioned earlier. For us, these were mandatory for all site work.
It would seem that those were not in place for this shocking near miss. Plus we all carried our own padlocks. The young lady should have had one or been issued with one and kept the key in her back pocket.
A laissez faire approach is not acceptable when it comes to safety in any field, especially ours where the dangers are often invisible.
The way the OP got shocked clearly shows that none of the safeguards mentioned was there to prevent the shock in the first place. Nor there seemed to be any post shock medical treatment plan in her company. Under these conditions, my proposal for a work safe checklist specially for her.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Under these conditions, my proposal for a work safe checklist specially for her.
That's exactly what risk assessments and method statements are for.
I should add mandatory safety training and toolbox talks.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
. Nor there seemed to be any post shock medical treatment plan in her company.

of course there is.... but it doesn't do much good if she doesn't report it.

plain and simple- a rookie getting zapped because a circuit is engerized is inacceptable. if a outfit (leadman/JW) cannot remove THAT variable a safety checklist wont do zip. outrageous.. it makes me ill.

it smells a bit like-
- more than one crew working down stream in one lighting panel
- or just plain and simple someone blatantly un authorized (drywallers... "why is it dark in here?") turned on all the cb's, which has happened to me, but I didn't get shocked. I wont bother saying what I do in those situations...

and last, a great way to eliminate these problems are well known, the ultimate being only ONE person turns on and off disconnects when souls are on the line. multiple troublshooters doing it gets dangerous. since the op is here in the valley I was very curious what company it was... but no go. there are a million companys who just retro lights on the night shift who may or may not hire qualified people to run this type of work...

it all reminds me of my own post years back when I completely folded my wrist flat against my arm. (don't remember the title, its in safety though). sure as shootin, I got canned- but I could care less.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
That's exactly what risk assessments and method statements are for.
I should add mandatory safety training and toolbox talks.

daily task planning sheets (including estimated time, material needed and any predictable dangers/hazards) work. I hate them, but...they work well. so do taco stand/ tool box meetings. now the morning stretches- that I hate, but I try not to be difficult, and I guess its all right...:/

edit id say that the daily task planners work so well that it has improved efficiency and quality of work. and no more getting to your area and realizing you forgot wirenuts! the daily planners are reviewed and signed off on...

Besoeker3

Occupation
of course there is.... but it doesn't do much good if she doesn't report it.

plain and simple- a rookie getting zapped because a circuit is engerized is inacceptable. if a outfit (leadman/JW) cannot remove THAT variable a safety checklist wont do zip. outrageous.. it makes me ill.

it smells a bit like-
- more than one crew working down stream in one lighting panel
- or just plain and simple someone blatantly un authorized (drywallers... "why is it dark in here?") turned on all the cb's, which has happened to me, but I didn't get shocked. I wont bother saying what I do in those situations...

and last, a great way to eliminate these problems are well known, the ultimate being only ONE person turns on and off disconnects when souls are on the line. multiple troublshooters doing it gets dangerous. since the op is here in the valley I was very curious what company it was... but no go. there are a million companys who just retro lights on the night shift who may or may not hire qualified people to run this type of work...

it all reminds me of my own post years back when I completely folded my wrist flat against my arm. (don't remember the title, its in safety though). sure as shootin, I got canned- but I could care less.

Totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.