Voltage rated gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drobo

Must 00 class voltage rated gloves be retested, if used, every 6 months?
I have been told no, by a corporate safety guy, but everything I have read says yes, they must be retested. Anybody know for sure?
Thanks,
Drobo

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
NFPA 70E requires gloves and requires periodic testing of gloves.

Nothing says you MUST follow NFPA 70E. OSHA however says EVERY employer MUST have a program of electrical safety procedures. That program CAN be based on NFPA 70E and they recommend it highly.

If there is an accident and OSHA is brought in to investigate, question #1 to the business owner / manager is "What is your program of electrical safety?" If they respond that you follow NFPA 70E, OSHA moves on into looking at the details of the accident. If they respond "What program of electrical safety?", they can shut down the business and send everyone home until they evaluate every little detail. Everyone loses money.

ONE of those details will be PPE and the required periodic testing of it.

Bottom line, it is YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH that is on the line, not his. If HE is so damned sure that periodic testing is not required, make HIM prove it to you in writing.

R00LT1DE

Rammer Jammer
Occupation
Air Force Electrical Systems
I have been told no, by a corporate safety guy, but everything I have read says yes, they must be retested. Anybody know for sure?
Thanks,
Drobo

NFPA 70E, Article 130.7 leads to Table 130.7(C)(7) Rubber Insulating Equipment, Maximum Test Intervals...GLOVES are TESTED before first issue, every 6 months thereafter*.

* New insulating equipment is not permitted to be placed into service unless it has been electrically tested within the previous 12 months. Insulating equipment that has been issued for service is not new and is required to be retested in accordance with the intervals in this table.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Doesn't matter what NFPA 70E says as OSHA 1910.137 has the requirements for rubber insulating gloves as well as blankets and sleeves. OSHA requires that gloves be tested before first issue and every 6 months after. Note that first issue is important in that some gloves are not tested when they are sold and the buyer needs to have them tested.

Additionally, note that Class 00 gloves are rated for maximum of 500V. 480V systems may run 5% hot which is 504V so the voltage rating is exceeded. If working on 480V systems, a Class 0 glove is a better choice.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Translation: ask for a layoff.

(Unless you are a union member, then report him to the local and let them fix it.)
A "corporate safety guy" is going to institute a layoff? And if so, he is going to pick you out for layoff because you asked for proof of the LACK of a safety requirement?

Any employment lawyer would DROOL over taking that case...

TVH

Thanks,
Drobo

You need to follow the glove manufactures requirements and specifications. Check the manual.

wtucker

We test our gloves every 6 months; some every month. I once sent more than four dozen pairs of gloves for testing, and 28 FAILED.

Lots of things cause glove failure, mostly improper storage. They MUST be stored fingers up (to prevent stuff from falling in) in canvas bags with the top flap snapped closed. The bag can't be left beneath the rest of the stuff in the hot work kit or anything else, and can't be stuffed in a job box or truck box. They shouldn't be stored where the temperature will exceed 95 deg. F. They MUST be used with the leather protectors, and if they aren't, they should be sent for testing as soon as the task is completed.

Insulating gloves can save your life, but more likely save you from losing months of work while you lie in a hospital burn unit, maybe losing the use of part of your master hand (not to mention disfigurement). You want to risk that to save your boss a few bucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.