De energizing under ground service for repair work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I have an underground service at a residence. The service entrance cable is damaged between the bottom of the meter and the main electric panel. I replaced the SEC and spliced the new cable to the old cable outside near the meter. I contacted Dominion Power about completing the work. They told me they would not terminate the new cable inside the meter since that side of the meter is the customers responsibility.

Ok. I can live with that. When I asked them to de energize the meter so that I could work in the meter safely, I was told they would charge $1,300 to disconnect the meter etc.

This does not sound correct to me. In the past they have done this for FREE. And, in similar situations they have actually terminated the conductors in the meter HOT because it was easier for them to do this work than disconnected the power.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Sounds like you need to call in again. Someone is not understanding what you are asking for.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I am in Alexandria, VA also and have never had Dominion say they were going to charge for this. I would definitely call again.

Mark

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Update

Update

I spoke with a supervisor and Dominion Energy has not changed their position that I will need to pay $1,300 to shutoff the meter so that I can install a new SEC cable. I don't understand this? They do disconnects all the time for service changes etc,. and there is no charge.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I spoke with a supervisor and Dominion Energy has not changed their position that I will need to pay $1,300 to shutoff the meter so that I can install a new SEC cable. I don't understand this? They do disconnects all the time for service changes etc,. and there is no charge.
Tell them you're doing a service change; it'll cost less even with a permit fee even if the POCO wants to see an inspection slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.