upgrading 100a panel to 200a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob-1

hypothetical question:
i have a 100 amp main service panel w/100a main breakers which i'd like to convert to a 200 amp panel. considering all existing breakers/wiring/grnds are OK would it just be a matter of replacing the main disconnect breakers with new 200 amps rated breakers? can i use the same service meter? forget about whether the exising box is big enough for future growth for now. it just a question in the planning stages of my head for now.
thanks all.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: upgrading 100a panel to 200a panel

I don't think so. Note, I said think in that statement.

Your meter may only be rated at 100A, as well as your panel busses.

If indeed everything in the chain can take 200A and is listed for 200A, then YES to your hypothetical installation.

Roger

bill addiss

Rob,

Another thought;
I didn't see any wire size mentioned at all. I'm not clear whether you mean that the condition of wiring/grnds is OK, or the size of them is OK for 200A. There is a difference. I would strongly recommend that you have someone come and take a look at your equipment. That would be the best way to get the answers to your questions.

Bill

rob-1

Roger,
Kinda thought about that also "maybe meter is only rated for 100a". Thing is there's nothing on the panel which indicates it's rating or rating range. If this holds true (can't id the rating), then seems like the safe route (if this hypothectical becomes reality) would be to replace the entire panel with a panel of a known rating. what do u think?

Ed MacLaren

rob-1,
Since this is a hypothetical question, I'll offer a hypothetical answer - - - No.

Ed

rob-1

No?
still speaking hypothetically, why would one not install a panel of known rating capacity as opposed to attempting to upgrade a 100a panel to a 150a or 200a panel not knowning the ampacity rating of the existing meter base. as far as wiring size is concerned, in this hypothetical case the proper size SE cables and meter to base cable are there (say 2/0 for a 200a or a 1 for a 150a upgrade).

rob-1

No?
still speaking hypothetically, why would one not install a panel of known rating capacity as opposed to attempting to upgrade a 100a panel to a 150a or 200a panel not knowning the ampacity rating of the existing meter base. as far as wiring size is concerned, in this hypothetical case the proper size SE cables and meter to base cable are there (say 2/0 for a 200a or a 1 for a 150a upgrade).

to rob-1 :

if you want my hypotetical question i will responde to you in french is say " non merci " it mean no thanks you ...

i will cut the chase here .. the only corret way to upgrade is the whole LINK is the meter socket all the way to breaker box you can use 200 amp socket for both 100 or 200 amps boxes but NEVER viceversa but for 100 amp metersocket mean for 100 amps only nothing more over that due the connetion lugs inside metersocket if any doubet just get a real electrican and take a look at your suation to make sure it is proper size and ground wire will end up to be change anyway etc etc i will not get into all the detail here but i am make a very blunt point what about the safty rules enforce it and the service enternce wire size too it will make a big differnce for safty wise

merci marc

larryl

HEY ROB,
IM FROM MASS. ON THE EAST COAST,A SERVICE CHANGE IS A SERVICE CHANGE,
THERE ARE SOME DIFRENCES BETWEEN A 100AMP AND A 200AMP,
FOR INSTANCE "EVERYTHING"
1)GR WIRE
2)METER SOCKET
3)BREAKER AMPS,INCLUDING BUS
4)SEU
5)ETC....