This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

residential service gounding

when driving a ground rod at the meter location do you also have to bring a grounding conductor from the service panel to both sides of the water main? I now you need to bring it from the meter to the panel.

[ April 07, 2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: tower ]

Re: residential service gounding

tower,

Do you mean both sides of the Water Meter?
    If there is a metal yoke across it you may not have to but you had better check with your local inspectors and POCO to find out for sure.

Bill

Comment

I`m sorry. what I meant was driving a ground rod at the electric meter, if so do you also need to run a ground from the service panel to the water meter ( both sides )?also can you recomend a good reference book on resedential electrical work ?

Comment

The metallic water line must be grounded if it qualifies as a grounding electrode, IE has ten feet in contact with the soil. Any removable device has to have jumper around it. If the water line is not a grounding electrode, then the connection to the water line is a bonding connection.

You may need two ground rods to supplement your water line.

There is a lot more to grounding an electrical service, you may be able to pick it up from a book. The best is "Wiring Simplified", its about $10.00 often will be at the big box stores. Read it, do your self a favor and call a qualified electrican, even if for just a job site consult. The money you spend will save you time and possibly a violation on your inspection.
        Moderator-Washington State
        Ancora Imparo

Comment

Working...
        X