GFCI in public pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

veconomos

I have been told that a GFCI can be centrally located to serve several outlets. How can I tell by looking at an receptical near a pool whether or not it is connected to a GFCI. What and where should I look for the GFCI to ensure that recepticals are safe?

bphgravity

Re: GFCI in public pools

There is no way to tell if a receptacle is GFCI protected just by looking at it unless it has been marked by the installer. Even so, proper testing of the circuit should be performed to ensure GFCI operation. Placement of the GFCI receptacle is a design issue and can be installed pretty much anywhere and feed the additonal receptacles off of it to anywhere. It could also be fed from a GFCI OCD from the service panel.

bennie

Esteemed Member

veconomos: No offense intended, only my curiousity.
You indicate on your profile that you are an inspector. The question indicates you are not an electrical inspector.
If this pool is owned by a municipality, the local electrical inspector should easily be able to determine if the receptacles are protected.

veconomos

Thank you for your answers. One more question, if the GFCI is located at the service panel, are the recepticles always on a separate line from lights, switches, etc. That is, will the light go out when the GFCI reponds to changes in current.

bennie

Esteemed Member

veconomos: Buy a plug in type GFCI tester. They are available at hardware and home improvement stores. There will be instructions with them.

Good luck: Bennie

[ April 29, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

Status
Not open for further replies.