Plugs used in relation to ampacity of circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question reguarding a set of Vaccumes we use at work. Here is what I know. They are not UL listed, they are rated at 18A, 2000 W, 2.6 HP. They have been tested to draw 17A in normal use with a clamp on current meter. They came with a molded on 15A plug on a 14/3 SJTOW type cable.
As near as I can tell the 14/3 cable does pass specs though just barely. However the 15A plug seems painfully inadiquate and in my opinion poses a safety risk.
The problem is compounded when the plug ends began to fail and they were being replaced with 15A screw on replacement plugs.
Would anyone know a specific regulation that relates to this. The only thing I could find relates to the maximun draw of a single device to be limited to 80 % of the branch circuit, but it doesn't necisarily say that the plug has to be correct size (although common sense would tell you it does) just that the branch circuit is sufficiant.

Thanks for any time you can give me on this.
Matt

Re: Plugs used in relation to ampacity of circuit

It's a 2 motor (1 1/3 Hp each) HEPA design that we are using to clean out sorting equipment. Typical usage has them going continuously for about 1/2 hr to an hour at a time with a break btween machines.
To make it more fun while I had gotten them to change them to 20 A plugs they have now gone and changed them all back.
well we shall see how this turns out.

Thanks for the time.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.