Day Care Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be wiring a 800 sg ft room used for day care and am looking for info regarding receptacle location (height)and other safety related info

bphgravity

Re: Day Care Room

This is going to be a local building code issue in coordination with the Department of Children and Families or the HRS. Contact the local building department for specifications in your community.

iwire

Staff member

I did a Day Care Building in MA and did not find any different code requirements for that use, but as always you may have local codes.

One thing we did do which was by job spec and not code was to use these Hubbell tamper resistant receptacles, they only come in hospital grade.

sg63h_diagram.jpg

sg62_illustration.gif

From Hubbell Web Site

How it Works
How the Tamper Resistant Receptacle Works.

As shown in Figure 1, Switch "A" energizes the left hand Contact "B" and Switch "C" energizes the right hand Contact "D." The same arrangement applies to the lower portion of the outlet.

If, for example, a metallic object is inserted into the left power Contact "B" only, the object is not energized because it requires the additional insertion of a similar object in the opposite Contact "D" to move the slider to close Switch "A."

Similarly, if an object is inserted into the right hand slot only, it cannot become energized unless an additional object is inserted in the opposite slot to close Switch "C."

In other words it requires the presence of an object in both right and left hand contacts to energize the device. This condition is in practice fulfilled only by the insertion of the proper electrical plug as shown in Figure 2.

Remember, this receptacle can be used with either a 2 or 3 wire plug.

No other tamper resistant receptacle on the market can provide you with greater reliability and durability that the Hubbell Hospital Grade tamper resistant Receptacle.
These are not cheap $20 to $30 but if you brought the issue up maybe a change order.

Here is a link to the Hubbell Web Site, It takes a little while to load but when you get it you can browse easily.

Hubbell Catalog

[ April 08, 2003, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

roger deas

Along with Bob's mention of tamper resistant receps, the childrens day care facilities we have done, (in N.C.) have all recep circuits wired with GFCI's in the childrens rooms.

NFPA 101 16.5.1.2 does say; "Special protective covers for all electrical receptacles shall be insalled in all areas occupied by clients."

Roger

[ April 08, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: roger deas ]

iwire

Staff member

Hi Roger, how are you doing?

Was that a code or a spec.?

We only had GFCIs near sinks at least one per room.

But putting all outlets on GFCIs sounds like it would be a good idea.

Bob

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Hey Bob, everythings pretty good here, I hope it is for you too, although they're calling for a late snow here thursday. :(

I think the GFCI's are a state code D.O.I.(department of insurance) We also have to do this in elementary schools from K to 2 or 3 I think.

I know it's mandatory for K. I think it's a good idea too.

Roger

[ April 08, 2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.