temporary lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryl

I am in the electrical industry as a newly appointed safety manager. I have heard of temp. lighting fixtures that are made to pierce the conductor. Romex is not NEC approved for these fixtures because of the solid conductor. Can anyone tell me the cable rating for the "self-healing shell" type cable that may be used with these fixtures? Who manufactures the actual fixture?

charlie tuna

Re: temporary lighting

maryl,
article 527.4(c) states that cables used to make up temporary lighting must be identified in table 400.4 for "hard usage"! the old pin sockets you are discribing were assembled on site using #12 stranded wire. these are no longer used. the temporary light stringers of today are heavy duty molded three wire assemblies with lamp guards. ask your local supply house for information on them...

iwire

Staff member

In this area NM is the most commonly used method to install temporary wiring.

The only time we use rubber cord is when the cable will be on the ground or floor.

As long as the cables supported over head we use SE for feeders and NM for branch circuits.

(C) Branch Circuits. All branch circuits shall originate in an approved power outlet or panelboard. Conductors shall be permitted within cable assemblies or within multiconductor cord or cable of a type identified in Table 400.4 for hard usage or extra-hard usage. All conductors shall be protected as provided in Article 240. For the purposes of this section, Type NM and Type NMC cables shall be permitted to be used in any dwelling, building, or structure without any height limitation.
That said we do not make up light stringers, to much labor. We buy premade ones that are UL listed temporary light strings. :)

maryl

I really appreciate all the information! One of the problems our electricians have in using the strings is in new construction we put the lights up, then the rockers wall them in and we have to cut the strings. If the strings are routed through doorways, it tends to use up a lot of the length and the cords are now subject to damage. I believe we are looking for the most functional and cost effective solution. However; if we need to hang more stringers than that's what we'll have to do.
I am here to learn from all you electrical Yodas.

jimwalker

We use 12-2 romex and put pin sockets as needed with cage.Either hang romex with jet line or plastic tie wraps.We throw the romex away when finished.Are we violating any codes ?

laidman

It is my understanding that both OSHA and NEC70E say that only approved assemblies for temporary lighting can be used. and that the sockets must be molded and guarded. I believe this was changed because of an electrocution when carring metal studs and shorting out the old style temps.

[ January 26, 2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: laidman ]

luckyshadow

I have the understanding that the temp. lights are to be a cable assembly. So romex will work just have to use wirenuts to attach socket . They wanted to do away with having single conductors running everywhere. Just make sure you use guards and secure every socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.