120 volt smoke detcors

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky

I had a new home fail inspection because the smoke detectors were not installed on a dedicated circuit? I was under the understanding that they should be installed with other items to prevent them from being shut off and to be aware if the circuit did trip. My inspector states that all operating sytems; water softners, blowers for gas water heaters, alarm systems should have there own seperate dedicated power supply?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: 120 volt smoke detcors

Its not an NEC rule. It may be a local code. If you are under the 2002 NEC and the smokes are in bedrooms they have to be on an AFCI.
Ask the inspector for the exact code and rule for the smokes.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Please do as Tom said and ask your inspector (with diplomacy) what code he is using for this requirement. Let us know what he says. If he is not citing a local code he is wrong.

Roger

luke warmwater

This is another common topic. We install them on a dedicated circut, but it is not a Code requirement as Tom and Roger have stated.
I'm curious about this inspector's reasoning as well.
C'mon, the gas water heater blower on a dedicated circut? That's a waste of a circut. As much as my company tries to isolate systems, that's a stretch. It could easily be on with the sump pump circut. Or even the circut for the gas heater condensate pump. I've seen other companies put it on with the basement lights and pass inspection.
The alarm system can't be GFCI protected, but Code doesn't say dedicated circut.
I hope that this inspector isn't in any areas that we work.

sparky

I did try to get a code referrance from him. his referance was to seperate system must have dedicated power supply. no code referance. Also he mentioned that the reguirement for Arc fault on smokes was a mistake and should be corrected in the 2005 code.

[ May 01, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: sparky ]

sparky

he's a fill in inspector for independent inspection company my regular inspector is out sick for several weeks. !!!! West Chester area.

bill addiss

Sparky,

FWIW, most people I have spoken to do not think that it is good at all for Smokes to be on their own circuit. I would never do that for the reason that it is very likely to be turned off rather than being fixed if they became a nuisance.

I just don't think it is a good idea. And if I was forced to do it I would want something in writing.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.