dishwasher/garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikecity

new site user here,
-first off, is there any way I can directly browse the NEC online?
-in the short term, I'm pretty clear that I've gotta have separate circuits for the garbage disposal and dishwasher respectively, the question is are these 2 dedicated circuits? or can other drops be on each circuit as long as they're distinct from one another...

bphgravity

Re: dishwasher/garbage disposal

I do not know of any "free" online NEC browser. As far as DW/DP go, there is no code that states these appliances need to be on dedicated circuits. If the units are cord-and-plug connected, the load of each cannot exceed 50% of the branch-circuit rating if other equipment is to be supplied by the came curcuit per 210.23(A). It is a good design to put these loads on their own circuits and to make them dedicated.

iwire

Staff member

I think your only shot at browsing the NEC for free is at a library.

But it is not set up for browsing, you can not just pick it up and learn how to do electric work or for that matter find the answer to your question easily until you learn where to look.

NEC 2002

90.1(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or instruction manual for untrained persons.
You may be a trained person but it still is tough to find the answer to a straight forward question in the code book.

strikecity

thanks guys, learning has occurred. I now see that the important factor isn't splitting up these two appliances per se, but rather the amperage ratings of the motors which necessitates separate circuits and limits other connections on these ckts.

Status
Not open for further replies.