Island receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

nascar03

The city I work for requires a second island receptacle on Islands that exceed 4 feet. We require this because the area that faces the the living area is what we feel to be wall space. "Wall space over 2 feet requires a receptacle" My question is; is this correct or our we being unresonable?

physis

Re: Island receptacles

I think it's the AHJ's call as to weather to consider it wall space. I usually just put them in just in case.

physis

I just noticed you're an inspector.

I'll add that if people are going to be seated at that island I personally would rather there not be a receptacle there.

physis

I think he's talking about the side of an island or peninsula facing a living room for instance.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

nascar03,

I suspect that the island you are describing is in a specific set of room configurations that would exclude, say, a kitchen that has four walls around it yet incorporates an island in it.

When the cabinetry is used to clearly divide the kitchen area from the living area, then, IMO, the cabinetry is arguably a wall space, 210(A)(2)(3)

wirenut1980

This would be open to the AHJ's interpretation. I suppose I can see the usefulness of having an extra receptacle there, but I can't really see the need for it from any other standpoint other than that. Is there a reason other than the wallspace interpretation that AHJ's would require this?

Edit: Found wall space def.

[ December 07, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: wirenut1980 ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

My opinion is that a wall extends from floor to ceiling, especially since I seem to recall that in a couple places it refers to both walls and partitions, implying they are not the same thing.

physis

I've got an ilustrated guide to the NEC that's every bit as good as the handbook and it didn't take a position. It points out the lack of a clear definition. :)

hurk27

In 210.52(C)(2)-(3)-(4) I see no place where a inspector could require an extra receptacle because of "wall space" In (4) it would be required to install another receptacle if the Island or Peninsular counter space is divided by something as in the list but to require it otherwise?

(2) Island Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each island counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

(3) Peninsular Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. A peninsular counter top is measured from the connecting edge.

(4) Separate Spaces. Counter top spaces separated by range tops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate counter top spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1), (2), and (3).

[ December 07, 2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

apauling

210.52 A 3. specifically states that bar type counters that act as room dividers shall be counted in the wall space requirement. If the wall spacing so requires an outlet, then one is required.

paul

jimwalker

If we are calling it wall space then it no longer is an island.At that point it is a kitchen counter with wall behind it thats in some other room.
And if that 1 receptacle is in the right location it covers wall space 6 feet each direction.Perhaps in some cases we are calling things islands when they are not islands,in that case yes treat it as a wall.Not sure how you arived at that 4 foot rule.

pierre

This island 'wall space', is someone going to place a desk or maybe a lamp there? Sometimes we have to use commonsense judgements. The only one who can know for sure is the inspector who is physically there to see the situation at hand.
As far as the code requirement, it may not call for one to be located there - remember it is only the minimum requirement.

hurk27

210.52 A 3. specifically states that bar type counters that act as room dividers shall be counted in the wall space requirement. If the wall spacing so requires an outlet, then one is required.

paul
Paul first the requirement that you stated from is in no way a kitchen counter. I have had an inspector try to site me using this.

210.52(A)(2)(3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings
This is in the general living space that uses the 6' wall space rule not the 2' rule used on kitchen counters.
As in: 210.52(C)(1) through (5). ;)

jimwalker

"This is in the general living space that uses the 6' wall space rule not the 2' rule used on kitchen counters.
As in: 210.52(C)(1) through (5). "

The 6 feet rule does apply in the rest of the kitchen wall space.

Is a cabinet a wall ? most islands i see are a cabinet and not a wall.

apauling

without arguing about whether an island requires two outlets as part of the 2 small appliance circuits, it requires one for the SA outlets spacing, and if it fits the desription of a room divider, it will also require an outlet for that wall spacing under the general required outlets provisions.

the inspector is most probably right

paul

jimwalker

Are we saying that the island receptacle can't serve the wall space as well as the counter space even if it falls within the 6 ft rule ?

apauling

i was waiting for some further ??? but since not, the crux is that the SA outlets in the kitchen cannot serve the outlets in a living room, dining yes, den no.

paul

jimwalker

Don't most islands have a top that goes over the cabinet by at least a few inches ? would this not indicate that all 4 walls are a part of that kitchen island.Therefore the island is in the kitchen,right ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.