3 Way Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrestless

Can someone tell me what a farmers 3-way is ? Someone ask me today do I know how to wire a farmers three way I didnt have a clue.

stickboy1375

If a farmer did it, it can't be good! :D all kidding aside, it's probably the same as a chicago 3-way, do a search, this topic has been around before on this forum...

mdshunk

wrestless said:
Can someone tell me what a farmers 3-way is ? Someone ask me today do I know how to wire a farmers three way I didnt have a clue.
The "Carter System". Code violation since the 30's.

carter.gif

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What I call a farmer switch is still perfectly legal.

The single pole farmer switch is bringing power to the receptacle first, and then sending a two-wire cable to the switch. The white supplies power to the switch, and the black brings the switched power back to the receptacle to use.

A farmer threeway is the same thing, add another switch with a three-wire - the whites are tied together, red and black travellers, and the black between the receptacle and the switch is the return, as required by 200.7(C)(2).

Farmer3way.jpg

*Note: In my picture, I had red and white travellers - same difference. Easier to describe verbally with red and black travellers, and then I went looking for my picture.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Real, pull a 14-2 from a receptacle to the light. Pull a 14-2 from the light to the switch. This is what I've been taught as a farmer switch (single pole). Add a switch and some three-wire from that switch, and you have a farmer 3-way.

Where am I losing you? :)

Wrestless, that's the problem with slang. I'd call a neutral-switched light a Chicago. ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
georgestolz said:
Real, pull a 14-2 from a receptacle to the light. Pull a 14-2 from the light to the switch. This is what I've been taught as a farmer switch (single pole). Add a switch and some three-wire from that switch, and you have a farmer 3-way.
We always called this a switch loop. This is the "no neutral at the switch" that home-automation fans disdain.

Plus, always feed the far switch with the white through switch boxes, and use black and red as travelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.