doesn't pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Had to do replace a GFCI in the wife's flower garden. Ants for the second year in a row. Managed to leave my right arm, a no longer made Greenlee tester, laying in the flowers. One sprinkler cycle and 3" of rain later, I get my tester back. Unless someone has a really good idea on how to dry the thing out, then personally test it, I believe it is destined for the trash. Just doesn't pay to work at home.

hillbilly

Another casuality of the "Honey Do" list.
It does pay to dispense with some of this list from time to time.
Although not readily apparent, it does pay dividends.

As for drying the test instrument, I usually crank the truck, place the defrost on high and lay the part to be dried on the dash for a while.
It worked for a cellular telephone that I once dropped in a water tank.

steve

Think of the peace that it's established with the wife. A tester just a small casualty of the on going war to establish a man's piece of mind at home. In other words until the next womanly request. LOL

It pay's bro.

realolman

Don't know if it'll work, but I'll pass it along... When my daughter dropped her cell phone into the toilet, the phone co. told her to put it into a bowl of rice to draw the moisture outta it....Afterward we had stir fry. Yum.

cadpoint

Well ...

Well ...

Well, vinagar will breaks up the rust but it does tend to pit the metal, opps that for a soaking of the tools, that got left outside...
(disclaimer - never tested on electronics) opps.
I'd probably eat up the electronic board inside the elcronic sniffer
I do change the vinager about three times in twenty minutes minutes ...

Otherwise I've found that if I stop and count my tools before I enter
confined spaces, crawl spaces, Etc, I come out ahead, hope that helps.
:roll:

PS I hate donating tools...

Last edited:

wbalsam1

ElctriclCncepts said:
Think of the peace that it's established with the wife........

My girlfriend and I argued hammer and tong all day the other day and went for a ride in the country in the evening to "chill out". I spotted a bunch of jackasses in a pen and just to make conversation I asked her this: "Relatives?" She replied: "Yes!, Inlaws!" :D (p.s., Sorry about the tester)

Last edited:

JohnJ0906

Tom, try sending a PM to brian john. He does a lot of testing, with a lot of different testers, and he may know somewhere you can send it to have it checked out.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Was at a seminar on forensic investigation and saw a pic of a serious arc flash with one little white spot in the middle that was where the electricians head was.

The conclusion was that his tester had been in a bucket in his truck and it got wet and full of water. When he layed it across the buss to check voltage it blew.

Might just be easier and safer to buy a new tester.

hockeyoligist2

I hope you pulled the battery out right away? Just a guess, but it seems logical to me that the battery left in while still wet could cause more damage? I drop things in water all the time, the first thing I do is take out the battery's and wipe off as much as I can.

wireman71

Fluke makes good meters and testers. My fluke tick tester got soaked one time with rain water. After unsuccessfully trying to get it apart I dried it out and it's still working to this day.

starbright28

a honey do list in my house doesn't consitute mu hubby doing anything electrical... i do that. so anythign i do tool wise is my fault.

guess a new spin to the list of honey do.

(sorry to hear about your tool.)

dlhoule

cadpoint said:
Well, vinagar will breaks up the rust but it does tend to pit the metal, opps that for a soaking of the tools, that got left outside...
(disclaimer - never tested on electronics) opps.
I'd probably eat up the electronic board inside the elcronic sniffer
I do change the vinager about three times in twenty minutes minutes ...

Otherwise I've found that if I stop and count my tools before I enter
confined spaces, crawl spaces, Etc, I come out ahead, hope that helps.
:roll:

PS I hate donating tools...

You should keep it simpler, try sending in an apprentice or helper into the confined spaces.:grin: :grin: I usually hate those places, and too frequently have to enter them, but I still don't like it.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.