copper only termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupus1203

What would really happen if you terminated an aluminum conductor on a copper only termination in a disconnect for example?

iwire

Staff member
Maybe nothing, maybe failure at a later date.

That does not matter in the least as you would have an NEC violation.

Besides it just ain't cool to do that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This reminds me of when guys were pigtailing copper conductors to aluminum conductors for the installation of new receptacles and switches. They would simply fill the wirenut with Penetrox or some other anti-ox paste. I've seen some of these splices that have been around for 15 years without catching fire. What might happen in the scenario presented in the OP is anyone's guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Lupus1203 said:
What would really happen if you terminated an aluminum conductor on a copper only termination in a disconnect for example?

Your conscience will bother you for the rest of your life. You will lose weight, your hair will fall out and your life will be sad and lonely.

davidr43229

Your conscience will bother you for the rest of your life. You will lose weight, your hair will fall out and your life will be sad and lonely
Don't forget NEC art 110.4 (B)or said a different way.... ( The loss of your 1st born).

gwpowell

Loss of life is a very real possibility. My wife's grandmother died in a house fire about 10 years ago because of improper aluminum wiring termination. Cutting corners in the electrical business is a bad idea.

JohnConnolly

Lupus1203 said:

The way I understand it, the copper terminal and the aluminum wire expand and contract at different rates when heated/cooled during use. This can cause the terminal to loosen and loose terminals are the cause of MANY failures. Sparks jumping the gap equals carbon build up equals more resistance equals more heat.....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.