Generator Hurricane Hardening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed downey

Does anyone know of any information that talks about the items necessary to Harden a Generator installation against a Huirricane?

Thanks,
Ed

davidr43229

I would go directly to the Generator manufacturer if I were you, they have done tests with horizonal winds and rain. I suspect alot has to do with an enclosure and rated at 130 MPH for a period of time (rated).
Just my $.02

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
ed downey said:
Does anyone know of any information that talks about the items necessary to Harden a Generator installation against a Huirricane?

Thanks,
Ed

Good evening Ed in Missouri.
Chris in Miami here. When does hurricane season start there?:grin: Just busting your chops. Give me a couple minutes and I'll post a couple pics. with my comments.

chris kennedy

Occupation
This is a pic of a Kohler 750. Notice the vents. On the inside are louvers with fabric like you would see in a NEMA 4 enclosure. I can't find the pic I really wanted to show you.
4 years ago they bought a Kolher 350 for this location. It sat in the open through Charlie, Fransis and Wilma. It has a 3R open louver type construction. During Wilma it rained side ways south to north for 2 hrs., stopped then rained north to south for an hour. The enclosure is a bit rusted and beat up. We flipped the run switch last week an it fired the first time.
Volvo Diesel.
View attachment 604

chris kennedy

Occupation
Dennis Alwon said:
Heck, that generator is bigger than my house.

My point is I believe these things come "hurricane hardened". I may have missed what Ed was asking. If he's designing a job in my area I can hook him up with the right people.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
chris kennedy said:
My point is I believe these things come "hurricane hardened". I may have missed what Ed was asking. If he's designing a job in my area I can hook him up with the right people.

No I got your point. My point was that was a huge generator. Us residential guys don't play with big toys like that. If I can't lift it I don't put it in.:grin:

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
My point was that was a huge generator. Us residential guys don't play with big toys like that.

It can be fun, last summer I installed a Cat set with enclosure that came in at about 38,000 lbs, the isolating bypass ATS for it was just over 5000 lbs. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
It can be fun, last summer I installed a Cat set with enclosure that came in at about 38,000 lbs, the isolating bypass ATS for it was just over 5000 lbs. :)

That's a job for real men. I eat quiche.

asparagus_quiche_225px.jpg

chris kennedy

Occupation
iwire said:
It can be fun, last summer I installed a Cat set with enclosure that came in at about 38,000 lbs,

Man have I got a story about that. That gen. is 34,000 lbs. The guy shows up with four 9,000 lb. cloth chokers. We spent a half hour questioning this guy. Are you sure? He lifted about 4" before it slammed back onto the flat bed.
So the chain you see in the pic. cost us 10 man hours while he sent a man back to get them.
Always bid the unforeseen.

I was involved with an open 18 cylinder Cat just recently. I was in a generator class about 2 months ago and the instructor told us that Cat just came out with a 20 cylinder generator.

The 18 cylinder model was installed before they finished the last exterior wall in the room it was placed in.
The ATS is pretty amazing, along with the cable tray.

quogueelectric

only a mere 10 cylinder

only a mere 10 cylinder

And I thought the 10 cylynder we installed at the Rennart Mansion in Saggaponack was the cats meow. Intercoolled turbocharged but only 10 cylinders.

dlhoule

iwire said:

You're obviously a little stronger than Dennis & me.:grin: :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.