ratchet cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsilkwood

hey guys im looking to buy a set of ratchet cutters. ive looked at several brands and kind of leaning towards a greenlee 760. do you guys have any preference id appreciate your input.

mdshunk

If you're going to be cutting ACSR, you want the H.K.Porter ratchet cutters.

If anything else, you want to get the brand you supply house sells. I've gotten Klein, Ideal, and 3M over the years, and can't honestly tell the difference. They have replacable parts, so getting what you can source locally is of some benefit. I think the Ideal's have a larger advertised cutting range, but I think that's bunk. They're all pretty much the same. I do know that the Klein's just barely get to the first "click" when you're attempting to do 200 amp SER, but they still get the job done. The Ideal's have a slightly larger opening that seems to latch in better on fat cables, but not enough to sway my opinion that way.

Buy whatever you can afford, and you'll be happy.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
mdshunk said:
I I've gotten Klein, Ideal, and 3M over the years, and can't honestly tell the difference. T

Buy whatever you can afford, and you'll be happy.

Marc, I have a Klein. $170.00 and cuts to 400.
I just bought a NSI (the Polaris people) for $125 and it cuts to 600. We made 24 cuts on the 600 plus a bunch on GEC and EGC the next day. They have a heavier gear than Klein. So far I like NSI.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
ratchet

ratchet

it's been a few years since I purchase a set, but I seem to recall Klein & Greenlee have a limitation lower than the 750 Cu you plan to cut.
Incidently, I hope you have a strong hand. I love hyraulics.

Sass5150

Greenlee 760's ROCK!!! I've had a pair for@8 years and have cut all kinds of cables etc. never a problem. Had to touch up the blades once with a file but other than that there great.

Status
Not open for further replies.