NFPA 79 - wire nuts in motor connection boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In NFPA 79-2007, Clause 13.5.9.2 states, "Electrical connections at motor terminal boxes shall be made with an identified method of connection. Twist-on wire connections shall not be used for this purpose." :rolleyes:

What I think this means that wire nuts cannot be used in motor 'potheads'. Other than European (CE-Marked) motors, I've never seen anything other than wire nuts with or without electrical tape wrap for making these connections.

Which US motor manufacturers offer terminal strips or connecting studs in the pothead?

Alternately, what "identified" methods exist for this conection? I'm having difficulty finding suitable connectors that won't cost a fortune to implement, or that will fit three into a typical pothead.

Thank you.

I see that my question was modified for Political Correctness. I've never heard the term pothead for a motor connection box. Some interesting comments on this subject were found here:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=192982
Seems pothead is a Canadian term. I always thought that meant something else. Thanks.

{Moderator's Note: Edited to replace a word that some consider to be offensive.}

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We use ring terminals, small machine screws and nuts, rubber and plastic tape for motor connections on smaller motors. For motors with more room in the motor terminal box we use Raychem GelCaps.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Using the word pecker head to describe a motor connection box is no different than using the word nipple to describe a short piece of conduit. If pecker head isn't the word in question, I apologize.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Interesting. Most industrial specs prohibit the use of wire nuts on machinery as they have a tendency to come off due to vibration. Split bolts or bolted ring tongue terminals don't come loose.

BTW, why is a ring tongue/bolt connection called a taco splice?

realolman

Where I work there are thousands of fractional HP motors hooked up with wirenuts.

I do not know of any failures due to wirenut failure or coming off in 28 years.

I think they are less likely to short out than ring terminals, screws, and tape. The screws cause an irregular shape to tape up, and the tape isn't nearly as hard as the wire nut.

I remember hooking and unhooking fractional HP motors in the service with ring terminals and tape ... what a PITA. I think the European style with it's little terminals and double and triple nuts is another one.

Split bolts for big stuff.

dlhoule

In NFPA 79-2007, Clause 13.5.9.2 states, "Electrical connections at motor terminal boxes shall be made with an identified method of connection. Twist-on wire connections shall not be used for this purpose."

I've seen a number of suggestions on how to make these connections, but just where are these methods identified?

Status
Not open for further replies.