Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Thanks for the link!
treptrep.gif

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think the figure 8 and the Underwriters knot are the same. As I recall the UL knot was tied on the split ends of a lamp cord to limit tension on the terminations.

Look near the bottom of this page for a underwriters knot.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I remember seeing the Underwriter's knot in electrical books as far back as I can remember (was that redundant?), but I have never, ever actually seen one in any plug or socket I've opened. (And I open everything. :cool:)

wbalsam1

Great site. Thanks for the link. Then there's the "Warner" knot (my own random, helter-skelter knot). You have to throw the rope away after its' use, because no one can get it untied. :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I remember seeing the Underwriter's knot in electrical books as far back as I can remember (was that redundant?), but I have never, ever actually seen one in any plug or socket I've opened. (And I open everything. :cool:)
I tied one once, in a keyed socket hanging from a cloth covered cord (vintage '50's). I needed several attempts even when looking at a picture.

ultramegabob

Great link, thanks! I enjoy learning new knots, its amazing how many grown men cannot tie a decent knot that can be untied after it has had a load put on it....

Status
Not open for further replies.