Extension Cords Used in Class 1 div. 1 & 2 locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a natural gas production facility. I'm new to this industry and have questions about the use of electrical tools and equipment in these hazardous locations.

My question involves the following:
We regulary use extension cords in class 1 div. 1 & 2 locations. We plug into an explosion proof receptical with a short cord that has a GFCI. Then we plug our extension cords in for drills, laptop computers and other tools. Is this the industry standard practice when using extension cords? Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Your application would generally fall under Section 501.140(A)(1) and the installation under 501.140(B). However, your utilization equipment ("…drills, laptop computers and other tools") and the GFCI would also need to be listed for the location.

Last edited:
After reading Article 501 my cord is fine. However, my utilization equipment will need to be upgraded to meet the listing requirements.

Thanks for the infomation

nakulak

hot work in a hazardous area, while restricted under general provisions (osha, etc), is often restricted to more precise parameters by the ahj or local utility (utility engineers/dot-doe/base rules/etc) since they have precise knowledge of the nature of the hazards involved. we are usually given a precise set of rules for performing hot work before we ever hit the job, and if not we request them (if for no other reason than our own liability). there is often a training session by the powers that be to insure that the workers that will man the job have the exact knowledge required to perform the hot work.

Last edited:
Which OSHA standard could I reference for more information on hot work permits and when they are required in class 1 div. 1 & 2 locations.

hot work in a hazardous area, while restricted under general provisions (osha, etc), is often restricted to more precise parameters by the ahj or local utility (utility engineers/dot-doe/base rules/etc) since they have precise knowledge of the nature of the hazards involved. we are usually given a precise set of rules for performing hot work before we ever hit the job, and if not we request them (if for no other reason than our own liability). there is often a training session by the powers that be to insure that the workers that will man the job have the exact knowledge required to perform the hot work.

Routinely hot work is perfomed by temporarily de-facto declassifying the area.

nakulak

Which OSHA standard could I reference for more information on hot work permits and when they are required in class 1 div. 1 & 2 locations.

the best resource for the information you are asking is going to be someone at the facility you are working at.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I work at a natural gas production facility. I'm new to this industry and have questions about the use of electrical tools and equipment in these hazardous locations.

My question involves the following:
We regulary use extension cords in class 1 div. 1 & 2 locations. We plug into an explosion proof receptical with a short cord that has a GFCI. Then we plug our extension cords in for drills, laptop computers and other tools. Is this the industry standard practice when using extension cords? Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Normally all of these pieces of equipment could create a spark thus could not be used in a classified area.

You have to get a hot work permit first which essentially says a specified area is no longer classified under a specific set of circumstances for a specific period of time.

You can then use the equipment that is not normally safe to use.

I once did some work in an explosives plant. No batteries of any kind were allowed except inside of gasketed enclosures. Every Monday we would go get a hot work permit so we could bring in our PCs to do debugging. We were only allowed to have them in the area while they were not running the equipment or while they were running inert product. The few times they ran real product we were unable to get hot work permits for that period of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.