Would you consider this a confined space?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Would you consider this a confined space?

• Confined Space

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • Not a Confined Space

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other ~ please explain

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

Here is OSHA's definition of a "confined space":

Many workplaces contain spaces that are considered "confined" because their configurations hinder the activities of employees who must enter, work in, and exit them. A confined space has limited or restricted means for entry or exit, and it is not designed for continuous employee occupancy. Confined spaces include, but are not limited to underground vaults, tanks, storage bins, manholes, pits, silos, process vessels, and pipelines. OSHA uses the term "permit-required confined space" (permit space) to describe a confined space that has one or more of the following characteristics: contains or has the potential to contain a hazardous atmosphere; contains a material that has the potential to engulf an entrant; has walls that converge inward or floors that slope downward and taper into a smaller area which could trap or asphyxiate an entrant; or contains any other recognized safety or health hazard, such as unguarded machinery, exposed live wires, or heat stress.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/confinedspaces/index.html

Here is my question:
A "crawl space" beneath a building...150' north; 35' west; 100' north
~ sort of like a giant tetris block
tet3.jpg

Height is about 40".

In the crawl space are various mechanical pipes [H/C water; waste lines, steam heat lines, valves, etc] and electrical conduits.

The task is to install a couple of parallel feeder conduits with pull points outside the crawl area.

Do you consider this a confined space?

mdshunk

I think pretty much every crawl space that contains hot steam lines qualifies as a confined space. Probably many attics too, for that matter.

celtic

If it makes any difference...the space is probably 10' wide..access is through a 3'x3' opening at about 4' AFF.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's look at it this way:

If you were stuck inside that space, would you feel confined?

(Vote = Yes)

ZZZ

I think pretty much every crawl space that contains hot steam lines qualifies as a confined space. Probably many attics too, for that matter.

Without a doubt. I was almost asphixiated by steam in a tunnel 8' H x 4'W.

Last edited:

wtucker

Yes, it's a confined space. But I think what you're really asking is whether it's a "permit-required confined space," and the answer to that is probably no. OSHA has said the definition turns on "Contains any other recognized serious safety or health hazard." That doesn't mean "MIGHT, under some imaginable circumstance, contain any other recognized serious safety or health hazard." It DOES, though, include hazards that workers may introduce to the space, such as exposed current-carrying conductors.

Yep, it's a crummy place in which to work. But unless you're contemplating energized electrical work, or introducing some other serious hazard, it's not a permit-required confined space.

Status
Not open for further replies.