Are three legged ladders legal for use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawireguy

One time I worked for a company and they used a lot of three legged ladders. They are a lot better than a four legger in my opinion. Much more stable. Working for other companies I've mentioned how much I like a three legged ladder over the four legged models and have been told that three legged ones are not legal. Is this true? I don't really know how to research that one!

Found these on Werners site:

http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/ftp.php

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I took a look through the Washington State Administrative Code (WAC), and could not find any prohibition against a three-legged self-supporting ladder. But I may have missed a requirement, so I can't say for certain that it is legal. Sorry, but that's the best I can offer.

peter d

My dad bought one of these orchard ladders for household use and a paint job that we did. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but after using it a few times I became a believer. It's amazingly stable and you can get it into spots where you couldn't use a 4 leg ladder.

orchard-aluminum-tripod.jpg

Are they legal? Yes, absolutely.

Last edited:

C3PO

I have a three legged ladder that adjusts so you can use it on stairs or other uneven surfaces, but it is not very stable at all. That is the only three legged ladder that I have seen or used.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Aluminum????

Yeah, I noticed that too. You (peter d) are an electrician and you use an aluminum ladder? I hope you meant that you only use it for painting!

The problem I have had with 3 leg ladders (my step father owned orchards) is that the one center leg gets a lot of weight on it when you are at the top and reaching out, so it tends to sink into soil easier than I like. That is a baaaaad feeling....

wawireguy

My position is going to be that they are legal for job sites. They are superior in every way honestly. Especially the tall ones. Anyone whose used one knows what I'm talking about. They don't walk. They don't tip. Very solid.

sii

We have one at work and I love it but I'll be darned if, after a lifetime of the 4-legged kind, I can make my brain see it as normal looking.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The problem I have had with 3 leg ladders (my step father owned orchards) is that the one center leg gets a lot of weight on it when you are at the top and reaching out, so it tends to sink into soil easier than I like. That is a baaaaad feeling....
Look at the bright side: by the time it falls over, you're already halfway down. :grin:

jrannis

I bought one about a year ago. It collapses down to 5' and can extend to 8'. the legs can be adjusted to work on stairs. Its also rated to work on leaning against a wall.
The bottom of the third leg has a "T" shape for stability. Its really good for tight spaces.

wallyworld

I have a 3 legged 6 ft Werner, its a great ladder. Love it in a store where shelfs, boxes and crap are in the way.

cschmid

So do they come in fiberglass and what is the weight restrictions on them..are they rated for electrical work..aluminun ladders I do not use period..had one in the dirt and leg folded up on it..had 6 stiches across bridge of nose and new 400dollar pair of glasses..yes I know and yes partly my fault..me and my tools maxed out ladder..

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Look at the bright side: by the time it falls over, you're already halfway down. :grin:
:grin:

First time it happened I was picking cherries and I thought I was losing my mind because all of a sudden the cherries were out of reach, and I hadn't remembered picking them! Fortunately the ladder essentially leaned up against the tree as the foot sank in.

wawireguy

I don't really like the 3 legged four footers though. They do have a tendacy to want to tip if your not careful. Taller ones are great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.