Rubber Gloves and Leather Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Zog,

Besides the gloves, face protection. I am not brave, but I am experienced. I did not start out as an Inspector. It is very difficult to inspect when denergized here unless I go in at midnight. I am sure Brian possibly would agree. New work is different. I do not know what else to say to answer your question besides this is DC.

This is DC as in Direct Current or this is in DC as in the equipment is in Washington DC?

Either way, a facesheild and some rubber gloves are not enough, sorry to say this but it dosent seem like you are aware of the OSHA and NFPA 70E rules for when you can work on eenergized equipment and when you can justify it what PPE is necessary. I do acceptance testing all the time, that is new work, I also run into inspectors every day that dont know the first thing about 70E (I am sure Brian will agree with me on that one), not thier fault, they just havent been trained properly and when they were something else before they were inspectors these 70E rules were in thier infancy and very few knew anything about them.

Experience dosent make you safe, in fact more often than not it can get you in a world of trouble. I highly recommend you get some safety training.

Zog,

Where is that requirment for the gloves found at, about the distance of the protectors from the rubber shock gloves. Also do you have anything on people being given other peoples gloves (even though they have been retested and that person no longer works there). I always thought you had to have your own gloves.

Also is it every '6 months' that the gloves are to inspected/tested??

So what actions/safety ppe should have person have on when just inspecting the equipment energized.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I always thought you had to have your own gloves.

There is no rule preventing you from 'sharing' PPE. Of course the PPE manufacturers may say something different. You must test your gloves before each use as well as having them 'certified' every 6 months.

Duke E

I highly recomend you do that during a shutdown. Have you done the Ei calcs yet?

Please correct me if I am wrong, I don?t believe that it is realistic to perform a shutdown each time I am to connect and disconnect diagnostics and testing equipment.

As for the calcs, well.....I've just ordered my first edition NFPA 70E with Electrical Safety in the Workplace Handbook Set. I will not pretend that I am aware of regulations dictating safe practices. I am however making progress towards compliance as rapidly as I can. I'm quite certain that welder gloves and safety glasses just don't make the mark any more, if in fact they ever did.

zog

Zog,

Where is that requirment for the gloves found at, about the distance of the protectors from the rubber shock gloves.

ASTM D120

Also do you have anything on people being given other peoples gloves (even though they have been retested and that person no longer works there). I always thought you had to have your own gloves.

Nothing wrong with "hand" me downs, (pun intended), there is nothing that says this is not OK.

Also is it every '6 months' that the gloves are to inspected/tested??

Basically, yes, every 6 months, there are some exceptions concerning storage and issue dates but for 99% of the time it is every 6 months.

So what actions/safety ppe should have person have on when just inspecting the equipment energized.

What is the justification for not doing it de-energized? The Op alreasy said it would have to be at midnight, so obviously this is being done energized because it is more convienent.

As far as the PPE requiremens, depends on equipment type, available fault current and clearing time of the OCPD. No way for me to say without more info.

zog

Please correct me if I am wrong, I don?t believe that it is realistic to perform a shutdown each time I am to connect and disconnect diagnostics and testing equipment.

What exactly are you doing? You said before you were inspecting live work, then it is installing test equipment. Either way you need to be able to justify (To OSHA after something bad happens someday) why the system cannot be shutdown, to me it just seems inconvienent for you.

As for the calcs, well.....I've just ordered my first edition NFPA 70E with Electrical Safety in the Workplace Handbook Set. I will not pretend that I am aware of regulations dictating safe practices. I am however making progress towards compliance as rapidly as I can. I'm quite certain that welder gloves and safety glasses just don't make the mark any more, if in fact they ever did.

The 1st thing you will read in the 70E when you get it is what it means to be a "Qualified" person, to do any live work at all, this isnt anything new in the 70E it has been in the OSHA standard for 28 years, you are not "qualified" per either definition if you dont kno how to determine the required PPE to do your task safely. Monday morning, first thing, order your self a 40 Cal/cm2 flash suit and a HRC 2 kit (8cal.cm2 coveralls, facesheild, head sock, etc..) you ill need it if you plan on doing what you have been doing.

Duke E

I never stated that I was inspecting work, I'm not an inspector.

Yes! this is where I got.......
Quote:
NOTE 2: Examples of work that may be performed on or near exposed energized electrical conductors or circuit parts because of infeasibility due to equipment design or operational limitations include performing diagnostics and testing (e.g., start-up or troubleshooting) of electric circuits that can only be performed with the circuit energized and work on circuits that form an integral part of a continuous process that would otherwise need to be completely shut down in order to permit work on one circuit or piece of equipment.

dcspector

This is DC as in Direct Current or this is in DC as in the equipment is in Washington DC?

Either way, a facesheild and some rubber gloves are not enough, sorry to say this but it dosent seem like you are aware of the OSHA and NFPA 70E rules for when you can work on eenergized equipment and when you can justify it what PPE is necessary. I do acceptance testing all the time, that is new work, I also run into inspectors every day that dont know the first thing about 70E (I am sure Brian will agree with me on that one), not thier fault, they just havent been trained properly and when they were something else before they were inspectors these 70E rules were in thier infancy and very few knew anything about them.

Experience dosent make you safe, in fact more often than not it can get you in a world of trouble. I highly recommend you get some safety training.

Hey Zog.....That is District of Columbia. What is Ironic I am certified in electrical safety and you have made me realize I am living in hypocracy...Thanks for your input. I and others respect your knowledge.

zog

Hey Zog.....That is District of Columbia. What is Ironic I am certified in electrical safety and you have made me realize I am living in hypocracy...Thanks for your input. I and others respect your knowledge.

I just want to do what I can so one more person dosent get hurt or worse, saving 1 person from going through what I have seen so many go through is what it is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.