Arc Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

swrelec

I am looking for some infromation on Arc Flash. I guess what it is that I am really after is where I can get some training. Does anyone know of a good traing course in Minnesota for arc flash analysis, the ppe requirements and so on. Thanks in advance.

zog

I am looking for some infromation on Arc Flash. I guess what it is that I am really after is where I can get some training. Does anyone know of a good traing course in Minnesota for arc flash analysis, the ppe requirements and so on. Thanks in advance.

What does your job entail? Contractor? Industrial plant?

zog

IMO, I would not use a org like this that does all different types of safety training, your instructor is likely to have taught CPR or ladder safety the day before and is probally not an expert.

I am a big proponent to "canned" programs like this, I have followed thier training many times and the student had not learned anything. Lets find out what his needs are first.

zog

"Arc Flash training" is too broad of a topic, if someone answers yes to that question without asking you questions first I would be hesitant to use them.

What part of the industry are you in, are you an EC, an industrial plant, a testing company? A government facility?

What do you need arc flash training on? Doing the studies? Selecting and usining the right PPE? A specific task? (Like an operator that has to operate a specific breaker daily) Live work? Getting your company in compliance?

Do you want the training at your facility or do you want to go to a local seminar? How many people? What trades?

Do you already have the correct PPE? Train your people before you have the PPE and proedures in place and work will come to a screeching halt.

Do you already have EEWP's in place? Do you have an electrical safety program already? Can you provide it for review before the training occurs?

Your "Arc Flash training" can be anywhere from 2 hours to 80 Hours, I have developed and delivered hundreds of programs, very few were ever the same. This is all I did for the last 15 Years, dont do it anymore but I know all of the good programs out there and are aware of most of the "Wannabes".

Here are a few "quality" training providers that actually know what they are talking and are leaders in the arc flash community, involved with testing, 70E commitees. IEEE 1584 commitees. etc...

www.e-hazard.com

www.shermco.com

www.brainfiller.com

www.electricalreliability.com/ArcFlash.htm

www.lewellyn.com

All 5 of these are excellent.

charlietuna

Best lesson i ever saw was a training film produced by Busmann Fuse Company and i ordered it thru my supply house and it was free..... I first saw it in one of Mike Holt's Classes.................

zog

Best lesson i ever saw was a training film produced by Busmann Fuse Company and i ordered it thru my supply house and it was free..... I first saw it in one of Mike Holt's Classes.................

Free, you get what you pay for. That course has some decent info but is geared towards making people think that current limiting fuses are the answer to all your arc flash problems, it is a marketing tool, thats why it is free.

billsnuff

zog

zog

I defer to your logic. Just sounded like he was at square one, but you're correct, he may have specific needs. Now, back to your regularly scheduled post.

swrelec

"Arc Flash training" is too broad of a topic, if someone answers yes to that question without asking you questions first I would be hesitant to use them.

What part of the industry are you in, are you an EC, an industrial plant, a testing company? A government facility?

What do you need arc flash training on? Doing the studies? Selecting and usining the right PPE? A specific task? (Like an operator that has to operate a specific breaker daily) Live work? Getting your company in compliance?

Do you want the training at your facility or do you want to go to a local seminar? How many people? What trades?

Do you already have the correct PPE? Train your people before you have the PPE and proedures in place and work will come to a screeching halt.

Do you already have EEWP's in place? Do you have an electrical safety program already? Can you provide it for review before the training occurs?

Your "Arc Flash training" can be anywhere from 2 hours to 80 Hours, I have developed and delivered hundreds of programs, very few were ever the same. This is all I did for the last 15 Years, dont do it anymore but I know all of the good programs out there and are aware of most of the "Wannabes".

Here are a few "quality" training providers that actually know what they are talking and are leaders in the arc flash community, involved with testing, 70E commitees. IEEE 1584 commitees. etc...

www.e-hazard.com

www.shermco.com

www.brainfiller.com

www.electricalreliability.com/ArcFlash.htm

www.lewellyn.com

All 5 of these are excellent.

Thanks for the information. I am the master of record for one of the state parks. I am looking to make sure that we are in compliance. I am looking for some broad information to start with to learn more on the topic. Somethings would be: What is the best source for having an analysis done? Selecting the right PPE. How do we become compliant? It seems to me that all of the code classes I have been going to lately have been bringing up the subject of "Arc Flash" and I am looking for a better understanding. I would be the only one attending any training right now, but might be a need for more training in the future. I am looking for something fairly local but to start with anything in the state of MN would be good.

swrelec

I defer to your logic. Just sounded like he was at square one, but you're correct, he may have specific needs. Now, back to your regularly scheduled post.

I would say you are correct. I believe that I am at square one and looking for some direction. That being said I believe that I am not in need of the same training as somone in a large industrial plant, but need to start somewhere. Thanks

zog

Thanks for the information. I am the master of record for one of the state parks. I am looking to make sure that we are in compliance. I am looking for some broad information to start with to learn more on the topic. Somethings would be: What is the best source for having an analysis done? Selecting the right PPE. How do we become compliant? It seems to me that all of the code classes I have been going to lately have been bringing up the subject of "Arc Flash" and I am looking for a better understanding. I would be the only one attending any training right now, but might be a need for more training in the future. I am looking for something fairly local but to start with anything in the state of MN would be good.

Well in that case, feel free to frie away your questions here, start with the safety FAQ's on this site, http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=99114

Watch the video in the last post, it is a very good intro to arc flash.

there is also another good forum dedicated to arc flash http://www.arcflashforum.com/index.php

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I would say you are correct. I believe that I am at square one and looking for some direction. That being said I believe that I am not in need of the same training as somone in a large industrial plant, but need to start somewhere. Thanks
This is part of the problem with simply asking for 'arc flash' training.

Per NFPA 70E 110.6(A) employees must be trained in the tasks they perform. Which means they do not need to be trained in tasks they do not perform.

You need to work with someone in order to decide what your employees need to be taught. As part of your Electrical safe Work Practices program you should decide what tasks will be performed and by whom.

charlietuna

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What made it the best? That you got to see the damage caused during an arcing fault event? That you got to hear how easy it is to reduce arc flash issues if your fault current is very high? That it is a cost effective addition to your normal safety training?

Intro to Arc Flash

Intro to Arc Flash

swrelec said
"Somethings would be: What is the best source for having an analysis done? Selecting the right PPE. How do we become compliant? It seems to me that all of the code classes I have been going to lately have been bringing up the subject of "Arc Flash" and I am looking for a better understanding."

There's a video seminar on the NFPA-70E standard that's taught by Joe Sheehan, and published by the NFPA-- it's probably about as unbiased and official as you can get. It's basically a 2 hour introduction to what the standard says and why. It's a pretty good crash course. You can get it at
http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product.asp?title=&category_name=Videos&pid=VC95VH&target_pid=VC95VH&src_pid=&link_type=category&src=catalog

Oh, but he won't tell you what is the best source for having your analysis done... that's for salesmen to tell you! I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that can hook you up with an arc flash study salesman... if not... PM me. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.