Fire resistant clothing requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

srb53

Recently our company has required fr clothing while working on traffic signals. I am not sure this is correct as we are not working with anything above 120 volt, which is protected by 20 amp instant trip breaker. The control cabinet is protected by 50 amp main disconnect at the meter. I can see wearing regular cotton clothing non flamible but not having to be fr. We also work on street lighting which can be 120 volt to 480 volt circuits and all lighting is protected by fuses or circuit breakers. Can some one give me some sort of clarification on the requirements here and where to find it. Have been all over the net and everything I read pertains to factory or line workers and calculations are not even close for what we do.

Thanks

ItsHot

Employer's call

Employer's call

I think the requirement to wear FR clothing comes down to the employer's call. They are the ones that hold the liability for you. You are the one directly responsible for your own safety! I know some guys that work in an industrial setting that have recently been required to wear "arc flash " rated pants at all times at their job. But only wear short sleeve cotton non-rated shirts??:confused: Figure that one out? Welcome to the forum!:smile:

zog

I think the requirement to wear FR clothing comes down to the employer's call.

Yes and no, the employer needs to meet the minimum OSHA requirements, however if they want to require something safer for thier employees they can do that, i think this is what you meant.

I know some guys that work in an industrial setting that have recently been required to wear "arc flash " rated pants at all times at their job. But only wear short sleeve cotton non-rated shirts??:confused: Figure that one out? Welcome to the forum!:smile:

Easy, thier safety manager is clueless and/or lazy

ItsHot

Yes and no, the employer needs to meet the minimum OSHA requirements, however if they want to require something safer for thier employees they can do that, i think this is what you meant.

Easy, thier safety manager is clueless and/or lazy
Probably a little of both!:D Thanks Zog for your continued help in this topic!!:smile:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I know some guys that work in an industrial setting that have recently been required to wear "arc flash " rated pants at all times at their job. But only wear short sleeve cotton non-rated shirts??:confused: Figure that one out? Welcome to the forum!:smile:
I wear jeans rated for 8 cal every day, but in the summer I often wear a short sleeve shirt. It is not common for me to be in an area that requires FR, either because of the process safety management rules or to do work near energized electrical equipment. If have to work in an area that requires FR, I just change my shirt. Some of the industrials in this area do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.