approach boundary

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulak

does anyone know offhand what the approximate approach boundary is to a 34.4k/4.16k 3p 7500kva transformer (substation)?

drbond24

does anyone know offhand what the approximate approach boundary is to a 34.4k/4.16k 3p 7500kva transformer (substation)?

Not sure I understand the question. If it is just a transformer, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. There are a dozen 500 MVA transformers that are 20k/765k right outside the building I am sitting in and I could walk up and touch one if I wanted to.

If it is inside a substation, you can approach right up until the point you run into a fence and then you should stop. :)

If you are inside the fence of a substation I hope you have a POCO rep with you and in that case they should know. If they don't, get someone who does.

zog

What approach boundary?
Limited approach?
Retricted Apporach?
Prohibited approach?
Arc flash boundary?
Minimum approach (NESC)?

zog

prohibited approach (?) I need to do a visual inspection while energized.

You edited while I was posting. What are you inspecting? What are you looking for?

The PAB is basically the same as touching the live parts, you need to stay outside the Limited Approach Boundary (For non qualified persons) Which is 8 feet and 6 feet. Or 10 feet if the conductors are movable.

nakulak

thanks zog, I thought it was 12', wasn't sure. not touching anything live - thanks for your concern.

zog

thanks zog, I thought it was 12', wasn't sure. not touching anything live - thanks for your concern.

Just wondering what you could possibly be inspecting, there is nothing to "inspect", P/V gauge, Oil temp and level, thats about it, you have me very curious about what you are looking for.

nakulak

inspect was the wrong word. I need to work out the logistics of replacing the unit. plan shows nothing. we have a HV sub to do terminations, but I need to visit site and see conductor orientation, how they are terminated (if viewable), anchoring, what's in the way for moving or hoisting, etc. I need to get fairly close, take some pics for starters. I'm sure the engineer knows the safe boundaries but I thought I'd ask, since I'm not qualified for mv or hv (we work in and around power and gas plants - I'm not too stupid, just haven't had the necessary training yet, working on that) thanks again for the info

zog

inspect was the wrong word. I need to work out the logistics of replacing the unit. plan shows nothing. we have a HV sub to do terminations, but I need to visit site and see conductor orientation, how they are terminated (if viewable), anchoring, what's in the way for moving or hoisting, etc. I need to get fairly close, take some pics for starters. I'm sure the engineer knows the safe boundaries but I thought I'd ask, since I'm not qualified for mv or hv (we work in and around power and gas plants - I'm not too stupid, just haven't had the necessary training yet, working on that) thanks again for the info

Ok, that makes alot of sense, depending on transformer type the connections are either on top (Most likely) or in an enclosure (Will be a problem to access). If you have never moved one of these babys before you might want to get some help, moving oil filled transformers is delicate work, there are many environmential concerns also for spill containment and PCB disposal and containment. I have doens of pictures of oil filled transformer transportations gone bad, they are funny if they were not your fault.

pleas epost the pics when you get them, I wil help as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.