NFPA 70E and hot work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to NFPA 70E and am trying to sort out some things with it.

We are an electrical equipment manufacturer. Part of our Q/C work involves powering the equipment and making basic VFD and PLC configurations and verifying that the components operate properly. We don't build or work on anything over 480VAC or 125VDC.

The functional testing requires us to have the control panel doors open while the equipment is live. We do set up markers around the equipment so that unauthorized folk know to stay at a safe distance.

To what extent does NFPA-70E apply to equipment manufacturers in the power-on testing of their equipment?

I welcome your insight & comments, please.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I am moving this thread to the safety forum as this question is related to NFPA 70E and not the NEC.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It makes no difference. The risk is the same.

However, I would point out that it is much easier for a manufacturer to have a controlled testing environment where you can exclude the potential for arc flash in the panels you are testing.

wtucker

Why not just buy the standard? www.nfpa.org/catalog and search for 70E. It's $47, not very big, and much easier to understand than the NEC.

Basically, anyone exposed to live current carrying conductors will need, at the very least, rated gloves and tools, natural fiber clothing (cotton or wool--no polyester, etc.) and more, depending on voltage.

Thank you all for your input.

I will see what we presently have in place and available for PPE and "rated" tools.

Bob (petersonra), could you please elaborate more on "exclude the potential for arc flash in the panels you are testing"?

Our 240/480V test cart is set up with a 30A fused disconnect for the 240V, and the 480V is stepped up through a 9 kVA transformer. Will this sufficiently limit the arc flash potential or are there other steps we should take?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thank you all for your input.

I will see what we presently have in place and available for PPE and "rated" tools.

Bob (petersonra), could you please elaborate more on "exclude the potential for arc flash in the panels you are testing"?

Our 240/480V test cart is set up with a 30A fused disconnect for the 240V, and the 480V is stepped up through a 9 kVA transformer. Will this sufficiently limit the arc flash potential or are there other steps we should take?

probably. run the calcs and see for sure.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Like Bob suggested, you really need to perform the calcs.

One thing to watch out for is if you actually have enough fault current to cause protective devices to operate. Do you have a fuse or breaker on the 480V output?

Status
Not open for further replies.