Notification of existing Motel less than three stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is with the requirements of notification of existing hotel/motel guest rooms. On a recent inspection we tested the sound level at the pillow. Required of NFPA 72 2002 (we are in state of VT) article 7.4.4.1. The sound was well below the 75db required. We failed the inspection. Is there a requirement for visual devices installed in the individual guest rooms or only more sound level?
:confused:

hurk27

My question is with the requirements of notification of existing hotel/motel guest rooms. On a recent inspection we tested the sound level at the pillow. Required of NFPA 72 2002 (we are in state of VT) article 7.4.4.1. The sound was well below the 75db required. We failed the inspection. Is there a requirement for visual devices installed in the individual guest rooms or only more sound level?
:confused:

I don't know, but you would think you would need both, because of the hearing impaired, or the blind? but I don't do Fa's so I'm not sure about NFPA 72. But around here I see both in the rooms.:confused:

nakulak

I believe it depends on the occupancy. a certain number of hearing impaired rooms, and a certain number of ADA rooms are required, and those rooms are required to have strobes as well as sounders, while the reqular rooms aren't. your ahj should be able to provide you with the code that applies (or with their local code if it is more stringent).

nhfire77

In sleeping areas: (typically does not apply to hotels, check with AHJ's opinion)

NFPA 72 7.5.4.4.1

the candelas rating is 110 when the top of the lens from the ceiling is greater than 24 "

It is 177 cd if it is less than 24"

This is because smoke would accumulate at the ceiling level obscuring the light.

The distance to the pillow from the appliance cannot exceed 16 feet.

Of course 11.3.6 When visible appliances are provided......... (not SHALL).

I would have to get my book but I beleive 177 cd is needed with 7' of the pillow? and typically the db have to be 15 above normal conditions. Now being in a motel/hotel I am not really sure.
Who is your inspector if I may ask just curious. NW VT is it "The Wire Cop??"

Status
Not open for further replies.