Working Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

richxtlc

As you know the linemen are not subject to the NFPA rules, even if adopted by their states, they are subject to the NESC written by the IEEE. As of the 2007 edition (Rule 410A3), they are required to wear arc resistant clothing based on the available IE at their work point. As with all groups, electricians included, there are some people who do what they want as long as no one in authority is watching or their supervisors show little concern about their safety as long as the job get done on time.

handy10

Does working hot include changing a ballast for 120 V fluorescent lights which are in an office so large that it is a major inconvenience to to turn them off? I wire in a disconnect for an individual light when I have too work in such a situation. Is this practice so dangerous that most of you would not do it?

zog

Does working hot include changing a ballast for 120 V fluorescent lights which are in an office so large that it is a major inconvenience to to turn them off? I wire in a disconnect for an individual light when I have too work in such a situation. Is this practice so dangerous that most of you would not do it?

Actually changing ballasts is the #1 cause of death for electrical related work. I need to find the stats again but OSHA had it at 400-500 fatalaties per year if I recall.

hunt4679

When I first got started in this crazy world of electrical work I was taught a lesson on ballasts when i was grabbed by the outter case of a leaking 277v ballast 30' in the air I was lucky the other guy was able to remove me from it with his foot! Not sure if it was 277 or higher all I know is I was done for the day and that was 8am

richxtlc

A major inconvenience is having someone feed you in your hospital bed, or going through skin grafts to replace the flesh that has been burned off. Also, if you do have an accident, even if you do not get seriously injured, don't you think it will be an inconvenience to a lot of other people having to go through an accident investigation and the lights will probably go out for a longer period anyway. You could always use portable lights if need be, as the work would goes a lot faster if the circuit is de-energized, and the inconvenience to others is minimized. As far as wiring in a disconnect switch, it should be done deenergized so that the next time you do not have to turn off the lights.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Handy10
15-20 years ago I was changing 277v ballasts hot when I went to put that little hot wire like #16 or #18 into a Motorola ballast and missed the hole and hit the case. I thought I was blinded, the glass of my glasses not plastic had a glob of copper melted into the lens. Went to the doctor and I had welders eye, felt like a shovel full of sand in my eyes. If I didn't have my glasses on that glob of molten copper would have been in my new dead eye.
I don't change them hot any more! By the way I'm a master and was one 5 years before that happened plus I.B.E.W.
soo I should know better; but everyone was doing it hot back then. We started that night to turn stuff off.

Status
Not open for further replies.