loose ni-cad + tool belt = trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Burger

Here's what could happen to you if you put your tool belt on top of a loose ni-cad battery in your work vehicle. I discovered the fire and dumped the whole flaming mess into a snowbank before it did serious damage to the car. Now my extra ni-cads ride in their own cardboard box.

burnedtoolbelt001.jpg

Howard Burger

Probably one of the d rings holding the suspenders to the belt, although the chain for the tape was pretty black, too. Bottom line, somthing got into the neck of the battery and shorted it out.

Howard Burger

Well, as the advert goes: tool belt $11, pouch $26, repair suspenders $25. Experience - priceless. I'm just happy I hadn't bought the 5 gal gas can I needed for my backup genertator. Can you imagine what would have happend with the gas fumes? No, it didn't cost me much, compared to what it could have cost me. But I bet my guardian angel is wondering when I'm going to stop making him work so hard....

USMC1302

Was just thinking about a similar event today. Same battery riding in the front seat of the truck. Buddy got in and I thought I smelled something familiar burning. Being a fireman, I always smell something burning. 5 minute trip, we get out and I notice his watch laying on the seat(metal stretch band). Realize he shorted the terminals of the battery, cut his watch band in two, and I smelled the singed hair on his arm. I tried to save the protective caps that come with new batteries for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.