100% tie-off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can anyone out there help me find an OSHA standard that clearly states when/where 100% tie-off is required i.e. dual lanyards, as opposed to using a single??? I know where one should be used simply thru practical knowledge/experience, but I can't find the language on the OSHA site uhh... to save my life!

WorkSafe

1926.501(b)(1)

"Unprotected sides and edges." Each employee on a walking/working surface (horizontal and vertical surface) with an unprotected side or edge which is 6 feet (1.8 m) or more above a lower level shall be protected from falling by the use of guardrail systems, safety net systems, or personal fall arrest systems.

OSHA does not state dual protection required, it just states you will have fall protection in place above 6 feet. If you disconnect your lanyard to move, you no longer have fall protection and is a violation.

I can research more when I get off of work.

So the dual protection (100% tie-off) is implied rather than explicit as I thought. I was gonig nuts looking/searching for "100%", "dual", etc.

My reason for searching was that someone in a training meeting the other day brought up the issue of dual lanyards, and w/o going into detail here, said some things that I know were inaccurate, but before I said anything, I wanted to do my homework. My intent isnt' to publicly "win" an arugement, rather provide facts to the folks that took what he said as the truth, when in fact, it wasn't quite accurate.

Thank you. :)

Bandaid33

Another much less combersome way to meet the requirement and to speed the work is to use a retractable reel if circumstances permit. I've been on projects where the 100% tie off rule was a part of the contract language in addition to being an Osha rule, and it was strictly enforced.

Mark is right, if one unhooks from an anchorage point without having a second harness anchorage secure, there is a potential for a fall and the person in the harness has violated the 100% rule. The retractable reels fix that an allows for much more freedom of movement.

The retractable reels have improved greatly in the past few years. There are now lightweight models that are worn on the back of the harness at the D ring, so wherever the harness wearer travels, his retractable reel goes with him. I had up to 30-40 guys in harnesses with retractable reels recently on a bridge job and there was neary a complaint. The few subcontractor guys in double lanyards grumbled now and then, and I can see why; watching the guys in retractable reels vs the guys with double lanyards was night and day in terms of production, safety and effort.

B33

Status
Not open for further replies.