70E Table 130.7(C)(9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmaped

What is the 70E's take on switch operation with the cover on?
I notice the first set of tasks (Panelboards or Other Equipment Rated 240V and below) clearly indicate "CB or fused switch operation with the covers on".
My question pertains to a switch / disconnect (NOT fused, NOT a CB).
My initial thought is, since the 70E indicates a CB or fused switch, then otherwise PPE is not required. However, my second thought is, the 70E cannot be expected to document every possible task.
Thanks.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
From the 09 70E Handbook commentary following T130.7(C)(9);

Work tasks that are not listed in the table must be subjected to a hazard/risk analysis that considers both shock and arc flash hazards and includes the incident energy analysis required by 130.3(B)(1).

zog

My question pertains to a switch / disconnect (NOT fused, NOT a CB).
My initial thought is, since the 70E indicates a CB or fused switch, then otherwise PPE is not required.

What is your rationale behind this? Fused or not fused, makes no difference for arc flash considerations, it is the upstream protective device that would make a difference.

However, I never thought of this before, I am on a 70E proposal group and will get this clarified in the next revision. Thanks. In the meantime, wear the same PPE as if it were a fused switch.

zog

Wouldn't it fall to the employer of the electrical worker that may work on this equipment energized?

The owner of the equipment has to do the analysis (Either calcs or tables) to meet the labeling requirements. The employer of the worker is required to train and qualify the worker per the 70E training requirements and provide the needed PPE. That training includes the ability to determine the hazards of the job, including determining the arc flash hazard.

farmaped

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
What is your rationale behind this? Fused or not fused, makes no difference for arc flash considerations, it is the upstream protective device that would make a difference.

True, my thought was the attempt to limit the required arc flash analysis and labelling, especially below 240V. It seemed odd to clearly indicate "fused or circuit breaker".

Status
Not open for further replies.